10 bottles of '88 Pol Roger Cuvée Sir Winston Churchill

For anyone who’s curious, I will not be taking pictures and/or consuming the wine in my bathroom. However, I will be splitting a bottle with a good friend on his 26th birthday later this month à la Walt and Skyler in Breaking Bad.

P.S. (Walter White wishes he were as bad as me.)

:wink:
image.jpg
image.jpg

Found sitting in some little old lady’s passive cellar, undisturbed by human hands since release, no doubt?

Here we go again…

Nice wine, we drank bottles magnums and a jero all at one dinner in London a few years back, Mags won.

I’m definitely looking forward to trying a bottle. It’s a wine I don’t find around my neck of the woods too often. I’ll be sure to let you know how it shows.

[cheers.gif]

You are a wine hunter!

Ha, I love the phrase, Jason. I might have to adopt that as my new avatar handle.

[cheers.gif]

1988 Pol Roger Cuvée Sir Winston Churchill: Wow, this is a big boy. Lots of coffee, nutmeg, orange rind, and spice wafting out of the glass here. On the palate, there is an adherent red fruit-spice to the Pinot. The wine is both rich and dense while still maintaining an acidic lift. This reminds me of an '89 Grande Année I had recently, although the Churchill appears to bring more precision and depth to the table. 93 pts.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I’ve never really understood, or gotten, coffee notes on aged Champagne (or any white wine for that matter).

You do when it’s seen heat. I can see why it smells like coffee, the smell I get borders closely to the smell of a coffee filter when I have heat damaged champagne.

Are you suggesting that this could be another acquisition of questionable provenance?

The colour and description looks a bit as if the bottle(s) have been stored too warm … a well stored 1988 PR WChurchill should look brighter and be fresher …

Wouldn’t heat damage have killed a lot of the effervescence? Looks mighty spritzy to me!

Would it? I have a really heat damaged Dom p and the bubbles were intense on it.

Heat damage has nothing to do with the bubbles, but with colour, nose, palate …

A Champagne that has been stored at 22°C (72°F) over a longer period is usually much darker than a Ch. stored at e.g. 12°C (55°F)

Now I know, and as they say:

Isn’t the real question, what did you pay for them? :wink:

Properly stored 40+ yo DP has absolutely has notes of coffee; and along with chocolate, is a signature. Nothing to do with heat damage.
That said, if the color of the Pol Roger SWC is representative in that picture, then I don’t think it was properly stored.

Corey what are you suggesting?