Ridge 2012 Lytton Springs- $29.99

From Binny’s not a screaming deal- but a good price on a good wine.

http://www.binnys.com/wine/Ridge_Lytton_Springs_74842.html

I wonder if the style has changed over the years. One of the best reds I have ever tasted was the 1984 vintage. One bottle I shared with friend in a local Chinese restaurant was served from a teapot as the place did not have a liquor permit!!

Bob, what on earth did you pair it with at a Chinese restaurant??

Well, that is a good question…eeerrrr BBQ Duck [oops.gif] .

In the FWIW spirit the 1984 was made from fruit of the Lytton West vineyard that Ridge brought that year and asked permission from Richard “Dick” Sherwin the owner of Lytton Springs Winery and who sold fruit to Ridge for their Lytton Springs Zin of the 70’s to use the vineyard designation. Sherwin stopped selling Ridge fruit after establishing his Lytton Springs Winery. In the early 90’s Ridge bought the Lytton Springs Winery and started blending the fruit from the two vineyards. The bench on Lytton Springs road is a real sweet spot for Dry Creek Zin. For a nice history of the Lytton Springs and Ridge connection check out this article from board member Allan Bree Homage Lytton Springs - the land, the people, the wine, by Allan Bree | Gang of Pour On Wine

That’s a very nice price, Jay. I just got in today my 2012 Lyttons at $35 per and my 2012 petite syrah. Have not popped any yet, but the 2 Geyservilles I have popped from the 2012 vintage were major winners.

Robert, good to see you around these parts. Hope all is well. Leave it to Ridge (or Loire CF) to call you out of hiding!

I just tasted this at the Lytton Springs tasting room and it was very nice. I don’t think there has been any major style change. Anyone who likes Zin should make sure to try this and the Geyserville. Personally I prefer G’s rounder, less overtly Zinfandelly character and its sweet oak (it’s one of those wines that wears its oak very well), but many like LS more.

Thank you sir! And I’ve had quite a bit of both these last couple of months!

My shipping season should start soon. . . .

For those of you in Northern California who have a Safeway Club Card, their 30% off wine sale is here. The 2012 Ridge Lytton Springs and 2012 Geyserville were $28.34 if you buy six (mix and match).

Thanks,
Ed

Which Northern California stores have Lytton Springs and Geyserville? The Safeways by me in the South Bay only have Three Valleys.

Hi, David. The Safeway in San Ramon on San Ramon Valley Blvd. and Crow Canyon had some in stock as of yesterday. I bought some but did not clean them out.

Thanks,
Ed

Cool, thanks for the reply. I’m going to pick some up before Safeway’s sale ends.

Binny’s website now says $36.99. Oh well.

Zin goes fairly well with Chinese food. Big enough fruit not to be overwhelmed by the strong flavors, not tannic enough to taste bitter alongside spicy food. I’m not saying it’s in “perfect wine geek pairing” land, but well enough if you want to have a red wine.

Though I’d be more likely to think of a more fruit forward and less structured zin than a young Ridge, ideally.