Your Favorite White Wine

I love all styles of wine, but white wines have a special place in my heart. There something about the delicate nature of a fine white, the subtleness of the nose, and the flavor, that intrigues me and keeps me coming back for more. Whether a Cali Chard, Chablis, Sancerre, or Sauternes, Riesling, or others, I love whites. What is your favorite?

Depends on what I’m eating.

That said, I buy more Côte de Beaune whites than others (likely because French cuisine is my default when out and about). A close second would be txakoli because I love it with fresh shellfish (which I also love). Riesling would probably be third.

Best,

N

I went to an in store tasting on Saturday that featured a fair number of cheap, poorly made Chards. It served to remind me of the true bliss white Burg can bring when it comes from both a decent terroir and a component winemaker.

:slight_smile:

I was reminded a couple of weeks ago of just how little I like Chardonnay. But I really like Arneis - Brovia and Vietti. And Sancerre - E. Vatan and G. Bouley.

I won’t narrow it down to a grape, but in general I love Austrian whites.

k.

Any specific producers you recommend?

Lake Breeze Pinot Gris.

So far a German Riesling, CA Chardonnay.

At this moment in time I am really liking the Albariño.

1 - Chards (minerally, minimal oak, no “butter”, burg and domestic)

2 - Alsace whites (pinot gris, reisling, gewurtz)

3 - Champagne.
champagne.gif

At the risk of it becoming less available to me, I’ll share the Pepiere Muscadet Clos de Briords. Drinks like really lean, tart 1er Chablis, but different enough not to be typecast.

Love white Rhones: Rousanne and Viogner.
They are a more complex white. A red wine drinker’s white.

Grüner Veltliner is definitely my favorite white. Mostly from Austria (and not just Wachau) but there are two excellent producers here in CA as well: Carlisle and Tatomer.

Anyone who says they don’t like Chardonnay is someone who’s never had a great and properly aged Leflaive ‘Chevalier Montrachet’. White Burg at it’s best is, to me, the top of the white wine heap…

Gruner Veltliner
Ribolla Gialla
Chasselas
Vermentino

There’s only one white that I buy a case of every year, so I think that’s gotta be my favorite. It is the Ameztoi Txakolina.

Pinot Gris from Alsace
Loire Chenin
Chablis and other lean Chards
Muscadet
Riesling

I used to dislike white wine quite a bit until my palate started shifting and I discovered Chenin Blanc, Chablis, Riesling, Champagne and a very few CA Chards: Arcadian, Ceritas, Rhys and Copain. White wine is now 38% of my cellar which I would never of imagined 5 years ago.

White Rhone varieties.

What I like and favorite producer(s):

Fiano di Avellino (Terredora di Paolo, Sarno 1860)

Chassagne Montrachet and Chablis (due their price/premox ratio, I don’t buy anymore)

Pinot Bianco (Terlano Vorberg)

Albariño (Do Ferreiro, Benito Santos)

Assyrtiko (Sigalas, the unoaked version)

Ribeiro (Emilio Rojo)