My wife is a natural born wine critic!

I had seafood last night and grabbed a generic NZ sauvignon blanc, poured her a glass, she made a face and said “I can’t drink this, it smells like cat pee”. I think she’s a natural, she is one that has never read a wine review in her life, loves whites, despises barolo and bordeaux, which suits me quite well. Give her $10 whites, and barolo for me.

I once poured 96 Krug and Wilson Almond “champagne” side by side to my wife. She greatly preferred the Almond. I’m thinking she’s just not a Krug fan as lately she’s been really into Dom Perignon -_-.

I think it’s time to get a dog. ;-D

My favorite review by my wife is “If I wanted to force myself to throw up, I would drink that wine.”

How many points should that one get? (I mean the wine, not the review :wink: )

Two, representing the two fingers stuck down the throat! My wife won’t drink anything that borders on being slightly tannic, so reds for her are barbera, pinot noir, and Provence rose. Rose is a red wine to her.

my wife and I were at dinner w another couple–Addison’s. Somm brought me a glass of red to guess. I looked, swirled, tasted, thought and thought some more. My wife stopped talking to the other wife for a second, took a sip, said “89 Lynch Bages” and went back to talking. I had to resuscitate the prostrate somm. Wife was right. We had had that wine 20 years ago and she said she remembered. We were all stunned–all except my wife.

We’ll all have to accept it, women are better equipped than us.

Huge generalization of course, but some (scientific?) truth to it. I certainly have anecdotal evidence that some women, if they are already attuned to nuances of smell and taste, can be really sharp tasters very quickly, without much prior knowledge of wine.

It was actually badly corked, so NR.

As per the bumper sticker on the forklift at Patricia Green Cellars, women taste better.

My girlfriend landed on the cat pee thing herself, too. She enjoyed that wine, btw. However, once she took a sip of an ugly pinot, winced and said, “that’s like being donkey punched.” I had to look that up in Urban Dictionary. (Spoiler: she was right.)

Over the summer I was at CostCo and I picked up 3 bottles of Matua Sauv Blanc from NZ.

On first taste… Yes. Cat Piss.

2nd taste… Cat Piss. After a lot of time, still Cat Piss.

The other two bottles were the same. I poured them all down the drain and learned a valuable lesson, never buy Matua again.

NZ Sauv Blanc can be an issue in general.

As a very general rule of thumb, women can detect flaws [or eccentricities] in a wine about an order of magnitude better than can men - if a man can detect a chemical compound in a wine on the order of 10 to 90 parts per billion, then a woman will be able to detect that same chemical compound on the order of 1 to 9 parts per billion.

Awesome

I did not know that, but it explains how on occasion that my wife does not like a wine and describes what she is tasting, but I cannot detect it at all.

Reference? and who despises Barolo? [soap.gif]

George

flirtysmile Lucky woman!

I try to keep track of what mine likes and doesn’t like in the wine I open (I’ll actually inquire) and I honestly have a tough time finding consistency. Maybe its me. Its probably me.

When I was in retail, we used to do a blind tasting a couple times a year at the wine bar. We would taste eight wines brown bagged and gave them a sheet to list what they thought the eight wines were. We only asked for the fruit the wine was made from, not the producer or year. All the geeks would go over the top trying to nail the eight wines, many would go to the length of cheating a bit to get it.

But at every tasting, it would be a woman (or two) that would nail the eight wines every time. And 99% of the time, they weren’t even big wine drinkers. It proved to me which sex has the better natural palate.