New York Times article in defense of Bordeaux blanc

Alex R.

In my book, Bordeaux blanc needs no defense! Love the stuff.

I guess there is enough demand to eat up the supply. I was surprised to see that the second label of Haut Brion blanc goes for $99.

I found a bottle of 2007 Lagrave Martillac (second label of Château Latour-Martillac) for $14 locally on AMEX small business Saturday. Probably been on the shelf too long at room temp, but a great year for Bordeaux white, I figure it had to be worth $4 after the credit! To drink soon.

I like white Bordeaux but prices would have to go down a lot for me to be a buyer.

I used to like them when the blends were more balanced with Senillon making up a larger percentage than presently. Now, they’re generally overpriced Sauvignon Blancs. Too bad.

I had a very good '05 de Fuizel a few years ago; really impressive. But for the cost I’d have to think you’re better served in the Loire at this point.

There was a thread a few months ago on a tasting of white Bordeaux in NYC IIRC.

The big names do indeed seem pricey, but I think there is value if you look. Clos Floredine, mentioned in the article, is an absolute steal, and is a beautiful wines. Chateau Brown Blanc is also a relatively good deal if you can find it. It’s a real shame more mature white bordeaux isn’t available on the market. I picked up a few bottles of '98 Larrivet Haut Brion Blanc, and they’re excellent (though their current release seem over-priced).

Prices have gone way up in the last 5-10 years, it’s true. I usually wait for close-outs and then load up. I got half bottles last year of the 2009 Domaine de Chevalier blanc for $30/per from Premier Cru!