Can we stop creating topics including the word "baller"

Please?

Apparently not. :wink:

I hate this term.

Its sounds wannabeish.

Is this one of those meta-threads?

Kind of goes with flat brimmed hats.

As I understand it, (correct me if I’m wrong) “Baller” is a reference to NBA players who are frivolous with their money. Now, I have nothing against other individuals spending their money freely, but I can’t say I aspire to do the same.

:neutral_face:

This is not a baller thread.

What about balla?

Even worse.

No. How else are we going to signal our conspicuous consumption?

It’s becoming excessibe lately.

Nawwwww

If you were swigging Ace of Spades out of your 100 point Suckling glass like the rest of us you’d know that the term was balla.

Scores, tasting notes and Hedonist Gazette posts, always including prices of food and wine whenever either is more than $200. Name-dropping is also helpful…

I think we need a pre-poll.

Meathead Rob Lowe loves saying “baller”

As I have said on other threads, I don’t like the words balla or lumber or things like that. But, there is a simple strategy of not opening threads where you don’t like the title. Use it. Let others be and I really don’t think we need yet another thread on this.

I need to shape my melons into spheres - can someone help me?

If you can tell me the profession of the person who danced the lead in Swan Lake.

“The game of conspicuous ownership…has been modified to allow for the entrance of more players. Over time, it can be argued that the primary motivation to behave ostentatiously has remained the same - status and prestige. If compared to a pyramid, witnessed at the top would be traditional societies, represented by an elite few whose status and prestige motivation is manifested by invidious distinction over all others in the society. In the middle, would be achieving societies, depicted by an increased number of nouveau rich players exhibiting their wealth either to gain invidious distinction over the aristocratic elite, or to acquire social acceptance from their peers. At the bottom would be affluent and post-affluent societies, where industrialization and advanced communication systems have brought conspicuous consumption within the reach of the masses. While still desirous for status and prestige, their motivation is instead primarily manifested by a pursuit for social and group acceptance. Gone, then, is Veblen’s depiction of ostentatious display solely for reasons of invidious distinction. Instead, affluent societies tastefully consume to denote belongingness to a particular group.”

Dr. Christine Page, 1992, Professor Management & Business, Skidmore College.

RT