Upcoming Saxum Release, what do buyers think

How do you feel about the upcoming release, regardless as to which wave you are.

Does this release being the touted 2012’s excite you more than normal or does the consistency of these wines mean that vintage is not important. Are you planning on going all in, as much as money allows or passing on the release

These wines suck. I do not understand how anyone with taste buds could pay money for these wines. They average an 82 point rating and 50% of them are DNPIM. There are people who have over 100 slots in their cellars filled with this stuff and I fail to understand why they do it. Especially those who have buying since 2004 and whose entire magnum racks are filled with Saxum. Gee wizz. What a bunch of dummies. They can get a fourth growth Bordeaux for the same price and wait 15 years and have a good wine, so why would they want one of these?

+1. [cheers.gif]

So I assume u are buying Jay

I just like the paderewski zin.

Plonk ! I’ll help you out and take your allocation just because I CARE ! grouphug [cry.gif]

I’m actually thinking about dropping Saxum. I have a ton from the past eight vintages and the last five or six bottles I’ve opened were a bit disappointing and hot.

I haven’t tasted the 12’s, but I plan on buying. I still think most of the Saxum is consumed too young. Of course, if that’s your preference, that’s fine. At ten years from vintage, I think they really do present a different wine that rewards ageing. BTW, I think it was Galloni who is less than thrilled by 2012 in general and also for Saxum scoring most of the wines in the low 90’s. I think 2012 is an accessible vintage that will make some people question how well it ages. While again, I haven’t had the wine, I wonder how those people who really like the raw power these wines have young will like the wines.

I guess I should drink a bottle from the last release (also 2012’s). I will stand one up for this weekend.

I unapologetically love these wines and buy all that I am offered, year in and year out! I agree with Loren - I really enjoy Saxum with some age . . . Opened an 07 Heart Stone last weekend and it was absolutely delicious.

Just thought I would look in on this question. 2012 Duhart Milon most common price on Winesearcher seems to be $84.97 and $84.99, so there is your comparison. Fourth Growth vs. Saxum. Same price. There are other 2012 fourth growths in the $50 range.

I have been on quite a few RR’ers mailing lists and decided to pretty much drop all (may hang onto Booker though) and focus on Saxum. It is at a premium to others but I view that it is definitely worth it. It is hard to argue that such wines don’t have moments where they show some heat in the early years but as to Loren’s point, I have been drinking through 2002-2003’s and they settled down nicely. I wouldn’t say they are becoming more profound but trather more nuanced. I am holding the rest of my 02’s to see how they continue to age.

Like Chris I have had a few thst were hot (09 Broken Stones) recently but I agree with Loren & Sherri, these wines require bottle aging for the most part.

When good they really shred.

I gave a 2012 JBV a 12 hour slow ox… it was fantastic. Whatever anyone doesn’t want, I’ll take…

The bottles I’ve opened so far have been a mixed bag, from amazing and no heat to syrupy and hot. The current prices and the amount I already own make buying more a dilemna.

You can’t lose. Either you love them and drink them or if you hate them, you can always sell them for probably more than you paid, given a little time. The waiting list is years long. You’d be stupid to pass them up.

Anyone have an idea how long the wait is?. I know I likely have a while to go, wait listed 2 years now, but was wondering if I should expect a 5yr or more like 10+.

Listen to Loren. I haven’t touched a 2007 or newer. Everything has been 8 years old or older and really, really good.

While I enjoy all of there bottlings young or old, I think the sweet spot is around 6-7 years. Just had an 2007 Saxum Heartstone that was absolutely fantastic.

BTW, I believe the wait list is around five years.

Looks like I just got off the wait list, so will only be getting Broken Stones (I think). Pleased to see that, unlike some other popular long wait-list California wineries (cough…), allocations even for first timers are guaranteed for a few days.

At $100 a bottle i don’t care to buy these anymore…
someone’s probably taking my allocation… and when no one wants it anymore, i’ll just drop off the list…

Good juice… Great juice even at $69/btl… ah the good 'ol days…