“Any idiot can make wine, but he has to be a tireless idiot." - Davis Bynum

Wine Legend Davis Bynum , writing his autobiography:

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/lifestyle/3358887-181/changes-for-revered-wine-pioneer?page=0

Bynum, in the past, has joked: “Any idiot can make wine, but he has to be a tireless idiot. Winemaking takes enormous work and attention.”

Thanks for that link, Eric. I didn’t know that Davis was still alive. I look forward to his book.

I did, of course, follow Davis from the very start…back when I visited his tasting room/wnry in Albany.
He doesn’t, alas, get much recognition for his early/great Pinots from the RRV. He also made some Zins that were exceptional.
Alas…most people don’t know DavisBynum as a great winemaker because they mostly associate his name w/ the
ubitquous “Barefoot Bynum”. 'Tis a pity. Actually…that first BarefootBynum I tasted in Albany was pretty decent stuff.

Tom

Seems I missed my calling in life.

I don’t know about that. After all you are a restaurateur. :wink:

Nice to hear him credit the vineyard as the most important part of great winemaking.

I still have a lonely bottle of '66 Cabernet he made. Not sure how many of those are floating around anymore.

I had a bottle of the 97 Davis Bynum ‘Laureles Estate’ Cabernet [Russian River Valley] over the last few nights. I thought they were more of a pinot producer and am neither familiar with their cabs, nor RRV as a site for Bordeaux varietals. At first the wine showed a high toned note that I didn’t care for so after a glass I put the cork back in, to see if another day would help. The next night we made swordfish marinated in coconut milk + tarragon and tried it again. The wine tasted kind of underfruited and tilting acidic by itself, but with food, was actually functional enough. I was actually surprised by how much it recovered with a little time, clean glasses, and some food. And inexplicably the SO liked this better than a more commercial meritage style blend I’d opened as well. 13.1% abv. Lean, taut, lots of acidity, fruit has faded. Very heavy bottle. Label says it gets 30 mos of French oak, and 500 cases were made. For my tastes, I’d give it a B- or something. I’d rather have pinot from the RRV.