Overnoy clarification

I think these have white wax tops. Is it more of an off white?

How yellow is the wax compared to the white wax for Overnoy?

Was there or wasn’t there two releases of the Chardonnay in 2010?

If so, how do I know which bottle came first?

One of the whites has the same label style as the 2011 rouge shown.
image.jpg

Those look like white wax to me. My experience has been that the yellow wax is noticeably yellow. Similar to yellow wax you’d see on Montbourgeau or Puffeney wines. I can’t comment on the label differences, only to say that given Overnoy’s labeling system, the front bottle labels are probably ordered in bulk, since they’re on all the wines. It’s entirely possible (I’d hazard probable, but I don’t know Overnoy’s ins and outs as much as I’d like) that the Chard was all bottled at the same time and at some point the labels switched from one batch to another, accounting for the color change.

Also, if you’re really concerned, a picture that was a) right-side up and b) showed the tops (and neck labels) in a bit better detail might be helpful.

[Edited for clarity]

Saul I will try a new picture.

image.jpg

Re: initial picture. Are you from Austraila? :slight_smile:

The funny thing is my phone flipped and rotated both photos. I need to go to one of those classes that Apple hosts.

Looks like white wax on both to me.

1 Like

Those are white wax for sure. Chardonnay, not Savagnin. Although it appears you spilled a great deal of fresh ketchup on one of the three.

Quick follow up question. On the labels of the bottles with the white wax, they are different. One matches the Poulsard label, but the other lists four different names. Any thoughts? I hadn’t heard of different labels. I called and talked to a guy at Dressner, but he seemed uninterested in discussing it.

Likely something as simple as Houillon/Overnoy running out of the old labels in 2010. I haven’t seen anything 2011-12 with the old label noting all of the immediate Houillon family members.

Remember that this is some tiny production stuff… gonna have some variations and making costly things like labels go the distance would be preferential to ordering brand new labels. I’ve seen this with Hirotake Ooka’s bottlings too where a small “vin de france” sticker is overlaid on another label as it s way more cost efficient.

Overnoy’s Vin de Liqueur has the % alcohol corrected on the label with a pen.

Not sure how to differentiate between 1st and 2nd bottlings for multiple releases during 1 year… not sure if you even can!

The labels are different shades too. Either way, I just didn’t know if they did two releases in a year or bottled some at a different time. It just seemed odd.

There were two versions of the chardonnay in 2010. I also got the one with grey wax, it’s a macerated/orange wine. I haven’t tasted it yet. Do any of you know that one?

I think the grey wax might be the 2009, not the 2010. I think they used black wax for that wine in 2010, but that is just my very limited anecdotal evidence. The 2010 was a great wine; the 2009 was interesting but less compelling. It’s a rare bird though, so you are lucky to find one. I’d drink it sooner rather than later based on my one experience with the 2009 grey wax.

And more generally, yes, Overnoy/Houillon often do several releases of many of their wines. I think there have been possibly three releases of the 2010 Chardonnay (although I might be confusing it with the 2011).

I received 6 bottles of the savagnin “doux”. The reason I know it was the second release is because the person who sells them to me bought them directly from the domaine and wrote the number “2” on the side of the bottles so I would know which was which. So I don’t believe there is any way to distinguish based on the labels.
A

sweet story.

Thanks Greg! Glad you liked it!
A

It’s not super orange just a bit of skin contact to add concentration and texture. I had it a couple years ago but remember really enjoying it!

Damn Tristan, you are really digging back in the archives here.

What does the Blue wax signify, why I have seen on a 2016?

……(Blue wax) which I have seen via a picture on a 2016 vintage bottling