California Pinot Noir ...

… is good.

I believe that all of these wines cost between $42-$59.
IMG_0261.JPG

Every time I flinch at $60 or $70 Pinot I remind myself that equivalent quality (note…quality, not style) in Burgundy would set me back $100+.

And not to compare it with a great terroir grape in CA that starts with Z, and is even cheaper.

Unfortunately so true…and so sad. :frowning:

And would be 30 or 40 in Oregon (or Humboldt)…

Perhaps. Though I have had so many Oregon Pinots that left me cold I just quit trying.

Can’t say I’ve had anything from OR that caught my fancy either. Esp when they have been served blind in a comparison tasting.

Really? I just checked local wine shop and there are plenty of examples of good Burgundy - Pavelot, Jadot, Robert Gibourg, Roty for under 50. Granted - not Grand Cru but more than equivalent in quality. In fact I find the opposite problem with Cali Pinot. I find it too expensive when comparing with Burgundy.

Perhaps its the definition of quality. What in your view do you see as superior for the money?

Thanks.

Pinot Noir is really good. One thing that is really good about it is that it can be made beautifully in a myriad of styles from varied regions. Many bottles present resounding value no matter the sticker price.

I don’t post on this forum often but love Pinot Noir and Burgundy is by far my favorite region.

Anthony’s comment above is why I love Pinot Noir.

However, dollar for dollar in terms of depth, complexity, and pure deliciousness I’ll put Oregon and CA pinot ahead of Burgundy. Hands down.

If you just limit your self to Burgundy and go in to a tasting with the preconceived notion that it is always the best you’re going to be missing out on a lot of outstanding stuff.

Check out some wines from Abbey Ridge in Oregon.

“Dollar for Dollar” I would disagree. I have friends that love Oregon and Cali Pinot Noir - so when I am over their place I do have lots of different Oregon and Cali Pinot Noir. A myriad of wines are in the sub- 20 range.
These wines mostly taste the same - hardly any complexity, spoofed, and high in alcohol relative to the fruit. Burgundy at that price point for these occasions is much more complex and balanced.

Please give me examples where you think that for the price Cali is better? I would love to try. At the 50-70 price point I see examples where there are plenty of alternatives from Burgundy. I am not disputing a taste difference or the ability to appreciate Cali pinot noir, but I don’t think they are a great deal. Quite the opposite.

I did not want to dispute Anthony but since you mention, I don’t think it makes sense saying “resounding value no matter the sticker price.” I live in the real world with a budget and have to make decisions on where my $50 goes. If one is saying that Pinot Noir from Cali is good - can’t argue that if one makes no decision on value. On the other hand if one has to make decisions I think one needs to back up the claims regarding value.

Interesting thread that I will watch closely. Great to see new faces in here too. My preliminary finding tend to agree with David & Michael (below)for the most part, even if his Cali numbers may be a bit high. I am finding a bevy of Cali stuff in the $45 range that just…rocks. I do think Oregon is in that range too, maybe a few dollars less on average.

I think 2 of the producers in the original post represent the very best in California pinot (Rhys and Ceritas), and I would love for you to recommend burgundy of that caliber for the price.

It’s not as if there are no Burgundies around for under $50 that I think of as high quality wines. Maybe you have better access than I do. After the 2010 vintage, when I was still able to find some of my favorite Beaune wines for good prices, there has been very little around under the $60 mark I would consider buying.

So we’re gonna do this again…

It’s been at least a couple of months.

Agreed that there is a quite a price increase for favourite wines. There is the need to explore other winemakers. I had to find new favourites.

I think I did. Being mostly a lurker I think there are other threads here for value Burgundy that cover the subject.

“Please can we can go round again”. Bueker started it, again.

OR > Burg > Cali. The style and vintage variety in OR holds my attention with a huge number of options < $40, and most of the best wines $40 - $65. If you don’t like secondary notes of loam, forest floor, minerals and/or mushrooms, you’re likely out of luck with OR. For $65+, Burgundy leaps in front of both OR and Cali IMHO. If you want primary “fruit-driven” flavors, Cali takes the cake every time. Your mileage will certainly vary.

RT

Sherri have you tried a good sample of

Pavelot, Jadot, Robert Gibourg, Roty

?Askold have you sampled Rhys and Ceritas and Copain?