Vino Chinatto: So That's Why Fu Mixes Coke With Red Wine

Berserkers,

I just tried an Italian fortified Vino Chinoto, which is exactly what you would get it you mixed red wine with Coke like Fu does. In this case, it’s Italian Merlot steeped with herbs and sugar and then being fortified with brandy – or so I am told. For all I know it’s just Amaro liqueur poured into red wine.

Either way, it works. But let us be clear, this is a dessert wine and mixing in Chinoto with wine is classier than Coke. I am far more cultured than that Fu guy! :relaxed:
20150209_154104.jpg

Chinato is the liqueur
Chinotto is the soft drink
Language police signing off now In truth it can get confusing.

Joking aside, I’ve seen Chinato made from bases other than Barolo, but yet to taste one. There are also plenty of really good herbal liqueurs (and indeed herbal grappe) that are well worth hunting down. I find them more interesting than Barolo Chinato, though I do still remain a fan.

So what are Chinoto, Chinatto and Chinomoro from Tran’s post?

My brain hurts.

Hi Chris
Chinomoro is presumably their brand name.
regards
Ian

Chinatto sounds like someone (like me) who is mixed race and part Chinese. Like a Chinese Mulatto . . . Chinatto.

It’s growing on me.

Chinato means that (traditionally) there’s quinine (china in Italian) added to the wine. (They’re pronounced keenahtoh and keenah). Natural quinine is extracted from the bark of a tree.

Better than Mulnese, I guess.

Cool. So I can drink and prevent malaria.