Syrah Syrah Syrah

So…
Why does it seem like Syrah is the most popular wine on posts in general?
May I get an explanation on why everyone is all over Syrah?

I’m a wine noob.

Thanks!

David

For better or worse, it’s back in fashion. Syrah has always been my favorite variety, so it hurts to see prices affected. However, it’s great to see so many people excited by it.

Additionally, it’s a relative value when compared to Bordeaux, Burgundy, Napa Cabs, etc.

This is not true:

Why does it seem like Syrah is the most popular wine on posts in general?
May I get an explanation on why everyone is all over Syrah?

This is:

it’s a relative value when compared to Bordeaux, Burgundy, Napa Cabs, etc.

I don’t think it has anything to do with fashion as it was never really “in” fashion in the way that Cab and Merlot and Chardonnay are, but there’s more and more good Syrah produced in the US and elsewhere and it’s a wonderful grape that becomes very different depending on where it’s grown and how it’s made.

Still, I don’t think it will ever become as popular as some grapes, partly for that very reason.

And that’s good for us Syrah slut cosumers!

I have Syrah more than anything in my cellar. It is not as monolithic as say a Napa cab, but has more interesting expressions: Santa Barbara County, Central Coast, Rhone, Sonoma, etc… It ranges from cola raspberry to bacon olive. That’s why I love it.

Some go whole cluster, others de-stem, some blend both, single clone, multiple clone, others yet co-ferment with Viognier, warm climate, cool climate, mountain fruit, valley fruit, Grenache blends etc… So many different expressions make it fun to drink.

¿Que?

Yup!

Syrah is awesome. Also, super fun to work with.

Here’s the thread from two weeks ago bemoaning the fact that the board seemed to be dominated by pinot and Burgundy threads.

As of a week ago, the breakdown of first-page threads was:

California cab and cab blends: 8
California - mixed types: 8
California Rhone varietals: 7
Burgundy: 6
Domestic pinot noir: 5
Barolo and Barbaresco: 5
Bordeaux: 4 (!)
Chablis: 2
Rhone: 1
Riesling: 1

Syrah can deliver color, acidity, great flavors and without having to come at you with big alcohol or wood signatures to make it taste good. god, CA syrah is so good.

David, if you decide to go deeper into the exploration of Syrah, just holler. I can point you to three or four producers that will spin your head clean off.

Hi Frank,

Thanks. Anything at lower costs that you would recommend to start with?

David, help me with cost. What is your range? Knowing that, i can give you some recs.

There are many but a lot depends on what you consider “lower cost”. In France, you can start with wines from Crozes Hermitage as well as St. Joseph and Cornas. A producer like Guigal for example, can sometimes offer pretty good value.

There are other regions in France as well - Pic St Loup for example, but I don’t have specific suggestions.

In South Africa, Rudi Shultz and Thelema aren’t bad, and you can look around in Chile and Argentina as well. I believe Planeta makes some in south Italy and oddly enough, there’s quite a bit in Spain, but not so much is imported. Australia of course, has a lot and depending on your taste you may or may not like it. Mollydooker is an extreme example of a really ripe style but there are many others. Riper versions tend to come from Barossa and Claire Vale, some less ripe ones come from the Grampians and other regions.

There’s some in New Zealand as well but it tends to be expensive.

There is a lot in Washington and California. I’ll leave others to recommend some by name. Brian can tell you a lot about CA. Personally I like Qupe Central Coast, which you can find from $12 to $20 and I think it’s a lot better than many wines costing much more.

In the US

Wonderful variety that can and does grow well EVERYWHERE. Some prefer cooler climate ones where the fruit oftentimes takes a back seat to ‘other’ elements like spice, olive, smoke, meat, etc and others the warmer climate versions where fruit takes the center stage.

I see a place for both, though prefer my syrahs less fruit forward, but YMMV. These remain some of the best values coming out of CA these days - though we are starting to see prices creeping up on certain producers from certain regions. That said, you can get kick ass versions of syrah from Santa Barbara County for $40 or less - and many sub $25 . . .

Cheers!

Sure points to the error of the OP.

Note the absence of Syrah threads!

Meantime 6 Burgundies, 5 PNs and 2 Chablis, which some would include in Burgundy so

Rhone varieties = 8
Burgundy varieties = 13.

The Rhone varieties would include Garnacha and maybe Mourvedre, so the possible Syrah threads are even fewer.

Which is good. I like Syrah and don’t want it to be a $160/bottle wine.

Drinking a delicious one right now! 60% Syrah, 20% Grenache, 20% Mourvedre:

• 2007 Mas Bruguiere Coteaux du Languedoc Pic St. Loup La Grenadière - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Coteaux du Languedoc Pic St. Loup (2/12/2015)
    P&p. Pronounced raspberry on the nose, accented by pine/cedar/spice. Same on the palate, juicy, tart, a bit savory, delicious. Earthy, stony minerality develops toward the finish, dry and slightly bitter, an excellent foil to the exuberant fruit. Quite youthful, totally open and drinking very well. With a little air the fruit darkens, and the wine gains richness and depth. Nice fresh acidity and well integrated tannins hold everything together. Highly enjoyable, good stuff. Drink or hold, I suppose.

Posted from CellarTracker

I have bought a lot of Syrah over the past five years. It’s patiently aging in the cellar. Meanwhile I like a good restrained GSM blend over just Syrah.

I’d like to know what you are talking about, David. I haven’t seen that many threads on syrah, and the only popularity contest for it is in Cornas, where prices are shooting ever upward. Perhaps you can explain where the popularity lay?

Syrah is 1/3 of my cellar, Bordeaux and Cab Franc make up the majority of the remainder. I waffle from time to time, but if cornered, will admit syrah is my favorite grape and Northern Rhone is my favorite region. The various descriptors and notes from a well-made, traditional syrah are intoxicating: Game, grilled meats, iron, blood, rust, minerals, pepper, bacon, olives, etc. Notice that I did not mention fruit. I like the crisp red profile and mix of dark fruits, but need some of the other elements to make it a complete Syrah for me. That’s where many California Syrahs fall flat, IMHO, with some exceptions like Cabot, Copain, Wind Gap, Edmunds St John, etc.