TN: 1990 Antinori Solaia Toscana IGT (Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT)

Ok. This is a good wine. Well made. Tasty. But boring. There’s no ‘Wow’ factor. This could have been a decent Bordeaux for all you could tell. I’m just not a ‘super tuscan’ kind of a guy, I want wine to be of a place. Nebbiolo and Sangiovese for me from Italy and many others, just no Cab Sauv (or other Bordeaux grapes) please…

(92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Peter,

I haven’t had Solaia but I agree with you in general about some of the Tuscan Cabernet family blends.

97 Solaia was Damn good, but then I am a fan of New World reds.

Bill. I get it. And I like them also. But I want my new world wine from the new world and I want my old world grapes from the old world. Yeah, I know. No reason for that. I just like it…

Anyone hear that Antinori is selling solaia?

Admit I’ve moved markedly to traditional end of the spectrum as my Italian wine drinking and collecting has evolved, but I’ve always liked Solaia and Tignanello, a good deal more than the Bolgheri wines, have always found a bright swath of Chianti Classico acidity/minerality that gave these wines some tension and distinctiveness and connected them to Chianti… 90 was quite a warm vintage, for the times, and I haven’t been back to Solaia in several years, wonder whether age is setting in. I must say that a 79 Solaia at long closed Da Noi, a Pinchiorri spin off, remains one of my most memorable Tuscan wines, if not the epiphany of my first exposure to Pergole Torte, a 79 from a mag poured generously at Pinchiorri on the same trip, I believe. As an aside, I remember how hard it was to spend $75 for the 90 Solaia and the 90 Giacosa Santo Stefano Riserva on release…