FITB: I felt like I was in The Twilight Zone when ____.

“There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.”

For me, my Twilight Zone moment was when I bought an owc of '85 Dow’s for $65/bottle. Then, I go on Winebid to see the 2011’s are now going for $250+ a bottle.

:astonished:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I don’t understand.
A

It could be any bizarre moment in wine history.

But why was your moment bizarre? There are plenty of wines where more recent vintages are priced higher than older vintages.
A

I once saw some wine being poured into the grossest toil. . . :wink:

What’s bizarre? You even overpaid…

The 2011 is a much better wine and a much better vintage. It will take years to be ready. That particular wine has the curse of being the Wine Spectator WOTY. It was 1/3 of that until that. Revisit in ten years and pricing will be more rational.

FWIW, I get that lot’s when I read about wines that people on this BB love and I taste them and find them average (I won’t name names). Its like, what am I not getting? Different strokes. Oh and there was that time I opened a thread to see old dirty toilets being discussed…

Bingo.

I will… Aubert.

Mark,

Funny, I just changed my avatar yesterday.
Recently, I have been watching all the TZ’s on Netflix, in order and commercial free. Of course the more famous episodes are still really good, or even great, like ‘Time Enough At Last’ or ‘Nightmare at 20,000 Feet’. But what blew me away was the sheer quantity of lessor know, but equally superb episodes (esp. first 2 seasons) like ‘A Passage for Trumpet’ with Jack Klugman meeting Gabriel as a horn player or the "Big Tall Wish’ about a young black boy’s wish to save an aging boxer from defeat. The list is endless. A few duds here and there for sure, but again the sheer quantity of brilliance in the writing, acting, and overall production makes this one the true gems in TV history.

I think the term ‘genius’ gets used way to often in labeling an individual who happens to be at the top of their field at a given point in time. For my use, genius needs to be applied when the runner up is not even in the rear view mirror ala Secretariat in the Belmont etc. In my view, Rod Sterling is clearly worthy of that moniker.

Now back to pot critics and Masion Ilan.

That was actually a wormhole.

[pillow-fight.gif]

----I fell asleep for 20 years, and then woke up and looked at top growth Bordeaux prices.

More generally, though, the price discrepancy between top name wines and other excellent wines without the pedigree and hype. It used to be that a wine twice as good might cost four times as much. Now a wine 50% better can easily cost ten times as much.

P Hickner

“You got to believe, Bolie, you got to believe!”
untitled.png

You have to pay premium for that wooden box. [snort.gif]

Scrounging those basements again, are you, Grasshopper? What Mr. Little neglected to point out is that his sited source only has a single bottle inventory. The average price for a fifth looks to be about $75.

Here’s a sixth bizarre dimension - that cited $250 Dow’s 2011 at Winebid seems to be also available in many other places for much less. These probably don’t come with the wooden box.
Here it is for $84:

http://www.krestonwines.com/sku9093436.html

I’ll take the box. It looks good for 375s…

apologies for thread drift up front:

I’m with you, Dale, Rod was a genius, and a great study in tenacity. I’ve studied his bio for years and have been a fan of TTZ since I was old enough to sit in front of a TV (born in '65). I admit that every 2-4 years I find some way to watch all of them. Again. Kind of like what I’m doing with (Netflix) MAS*H right now. The best of the best never gets old.

regarding the Dow 2011s on WineBid, I believe they were $75/bottle less the prior week – someone’s dreaming.

Three years ago a local store blew out quality inventory from a bankrupt wholesaler for $2.39/bottle. I was grabbing bottles very quickly as was the lady next to me. It was a feeding frenzy that seemed very surreal. I even asked the lady, " Am I dreaming?" She replied no and I kept on grabbing and later backed up the car.

Reality did set in when I opened the Burgundies and they were either baked or premoxed, so 5 cases went back for a refund.

I don’t want to poop on your parade, Mark, but I don’t think '85 was a strong vintage for Dow’s. Still, for a porto going into its 30th year, $65 isn’t bad. I last had a bottle on New Year’s Eve 2006-07. It was okay, but was a bid advanced and raisined, which is pretty consistent with many of the CT notes. In '85 Graham’s is very nice, and Fonseca is simply killer (and seemingly will last forever!). Either of them is well worth the extra $20, in my opinion, especially the Fonseca.