Your favorite variety? And why.

The syrah thread from newbie David Kim had some answers that made me think of what my favorite variety is. Some folks said that syrah was their favorite grape. And I began thinking, “well, I don’t really have a favorite grape” because there are just so many I like and can’t imagine not having them around on a regular basis. For instance, life would be boring indeed if there were no pinot noir, nebbiolo, riesling, sangiovese, cabernet, syrah, carricante, semillon, etc., but what could be a ‘forgettable’ grape? Chardonnay? Perhaps – to me – because there are many readily available substitutes. Malbec? Maybe, but just because I’m not so much a fan of the big brawny neutral flavor I find in many.
I invite others to share their thoughts about “favorites” and “disposables”.

My favorite red variety is Pinot Noir because I favor acidic reds over tannic reds. Pinots can be so aromatic at times (floral or fruity) and so elegant and refined in the best examples. But I also find many enjoyable Syrahs, Zinfandels, Tempranillos, Gamays, etc. and Bordeaux blends. My favorite white grape variety is my first love Riesling, but I also enjoy Sancerre and New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, white Burgundy and cool-climate and some unoaked Chardonnay from California or Australia, Albarino, some Italian white wines, Arneis, etc. I don’t drink much Viognier or Vouvray or Chenin Blanc but have appreciated the more acclaimed examples of those wines.

Pinot Noir by a land slide is my favorite. I am mesmerized by its smell. On the other side of the spectrum, I would not notice if Zinfandel went extinct.

My pick? Whichever one I’m enjoying most at any given moment. Imo, variety matters little if I find a wine to be delicious and I’ve yet to find one of which the most delicious examples wouldn’t qualify as being favorites.

[cheers.gif]

+1

Newbie David Kim has been enjoying Howell Mountain Cabernets + Cabernet blends!
Need to start trying other types of grapes. I just don’t understand Pinots after only drinking Cabs pretty much. I feel as if the wines are just way too light for my taste.

Not a fan of high % Francs.

Sometimes I feel that is the natural progression in this journey. I too loved the bigger cabs/bordeaux blends when I started. Maybe Ill return to them one day, but for now I find them uninteresting. Good luck with your journey.

I like the silky smoothness of a juicy chardonnay.

Hard to choose – so here’s a red and a white:

Pinot. The nose.

Riesling. The variety of expressions, purity, and terroir sensitivity.

Syrah is probably my favorite red; especially Northern rhones. There are also come great cooler climate syrahs out of California and Washington as well.

If I go by what I drink most and have most of, it’s Tempranillo hands down. But I also love Syrah in its many styles, Riesling from so many places, and Cabs/Merlots from so many places. And can’t forget Nebbiolo, Garnacha, and Zin. And last night I had a wonderful Lagrein. I also love Sangiovese and Monastrell if done right. And of course Furmint because it makes such an excellent sweet wine as well as an excellent dry wine.

And then there are so many blends.

By quantity it’s Tempranillo because I like it so much, but that doesn’t mean I don’t care for many more. One of the few I don’t care for happens to be the favorite of everyone else, so what can I say.

Pinot and Burgundy because they are ineffable.

Lately, I’ve been digging Mourvedre, Narello Mascalese, and Chenin Blanc. But a few years ago my answer would have been Grenache and Cab Franc. And before that, Bdx varieities and Chardonnay. I can see myself gravitating more toward Nebbiolo and Riesling next. That’s what’s so fun about this!

Gotta be for me really top notch CA pinot noir. Red fruit and blue fruit, acidity and minerality, when I find wines in this kind of groove, there ain’t for me nothing more I would rather drink.

RED: Pinot Noir - because it’s sexy, sexy stuff -

WHITE: Semillon - Wooded or non-wooded, I just love that waxy, creamy palate -

My outright favorite is Pinot Noir and almost exclusively from Burgundy with a select few domestic sprinkled in like; Artebery Maresh, MT Eden, Hanzell, Patricia Green, and a few more.

My other almost equally favorite is Chardonnay principally from Chablis and Burgundy. Very very few $25+ CA Chards trip my trigger anymore. I do like some everyday sub $15 CA Chards though like Bishops Peak and Toad Hollow.

That said; my cellar is pretty diverse with easily 6 cases plus of; Barolo, Barbaresco, Brunello, N&S Rhones and BDX and CA Cabs. But push comes to shove my first love is Red Burgundy & Chablis followed by Champagne.