Rhys Hillsides

Short time lurker, first time poster.

I was reviewing Galloni’s barrel retasting notes from October (available below), and noticed that he reviewed two wines that I haven’t seen available from Rhys in the last few years, or ever: Alpine Hillside and Horseshoe Hillside. I was wondering if anyone around here (or perhaps someone from Rhys) might be able to give us the low-down on these wines. Will they be available just for 2013? What motivated these bottlings? And how much will be available (i.e. similar quantity to Swan Terrace, or some other wine?)?

Tasting notes: http://www.rhysvineyards.com/rhys-2012-and-2013-pinots-top-scorers-in-gallonis-santa-cruz-mountain-coverage

Alpine Hillside has been around for awhile I don’t recall when it was last bottled separate from the Alpine. I read Antonio’s reviews and somehow missed the Horseshoe Hillside, that’s exciting! I’m pretty sure this is a first. I can’t wait to try the new porcupine too.

Joseph,
For many years we have wanted to make “Hillside” (or essentially Reserve) bottlings from Alpine and Horseshoe vineyards but for several reasons we did not. In order to bottle Alpine or Horseshoe Hillside we are waiting for:

1. A year with exceptional quality
  2. A Block selection that really stands out and makes a wine significantly better than the vineyard designate (often difficult)
  3. Enough production that these barrels would be otherwise essentially lost in the larger vineyard designate bottling

We will not bottle the Hillsides in every year and in fact it’s not clear how often we will but it will be something like a declared vintage in Champagne (in the old days!). 2012 came quite close but failed on point 2 above. The best blocks were just not significantly better. In 2013 we felt that we finally had all of these criteria met for both vineyards. The 2013 Hillside bottlings are similar in size to Swan Terrace and Skyline but with the Hillsides we also bottle a good portion of the wine in magnum. The Hillside wines also have a different label (Black with Gold lettering). We think they represent the ultimate expression of Alpine and Horseshoe Pinot.

My credit card just screamed.

I know Rhys bottled an Alpine Hillside Pinot in 2006 since I still have one in my cellar. I believe that was the last (only?) one.

I was considering dropping off the list after the Spring (just due to storage limitations and the ever growing portion of my cellar that Rhys is making up while I let them age) but the prospect of a Horseshoe Hillside is making me reconsider.

Darn you Kevin!

The Rhys website shows a 2006 and 2007.

As does Cellartracker. Should have checked there first.

I should just sign over my RSUs to Kevin now.

Kevin,

In the other thread you talked about the 25 new acres of plantings at Bearwallow. Given that your vineyard neighbors on either side both make a ‘hillside’ and a ‘ridgetop’ wine from their vineyards are these new plantings positioning you to do the same in the future?

Kevin - are the HS bottlings expected to be released next Spring?

We just bottled the hillsides a few days ago, here’s what the new black label looks like.

Man oh man, that is a sexy bottle. Kevin and Jeff, thanks for the great responses. I echo some of the other comments: can’t wait to get my hands on a bottle or two, credit card willing.

These will be part of the regular allocations at sometime this year? And, not to put too fine a point on it, but if one is typically allocated some amount of Swan or Skyline, one is likely to also get allocated a Hillside?

Thanks again!

Wow… i remember 2007 there was a hillside for alpine as well.
i was curious why 2012 didn’t have one… and that explains it… it was all good, but not one block that was ‘stand out’…

I guess no throw back pricing on the hillsides huh? :wink:

Rhys is just a conspiracy to take all my money.

Nice label!

And no chance of pulling the wrong bottle here.

Should I even ask the price for the Hillsides?

Is there a difference in the oak regimens between the Hillside and regular bottlings?

The 2007 (i believe last year they had it)
the Alpine was $49… the Alpine Hillside was $59.

Alpine now is $69… so maybe $79 for the hillside?

Methinks black labels don’t come for $79. I suspect we’ll see Rhys break the $100 barrier with these. And I’ll probably pay it.