Best online place for regular auctions?

I was a regular buyer, and an not-very-regular seller, on winecommune.com. There, I found a community of mostly honest people who had great wines. Recently, I have gone back to winecommune on several occasions, and there are very few bottles of wine actually being auctioned anymore. Does anyone have a suggestion as to alternatives? I’m not a fan of winebid because of the gouging of both the seller and the buyer, nor any of the high-end auctions (Sotheby’s, etc.) for the same reason. Also, I like to check in whenever, and not be stuck to a particular day for an auction. In other words, I don’t want a place where all wine is auctioned on 1 day, more of a rolling opportunity, like winecommune.

Any thoughts/insight would be appreciated.

so you’re looking more for ebay like wine environment than the traditional one?

klwines does something similar, items end depending on when they put it up. They don’t charge a buyer’s commission.

Probably K & L, but FYI, no bargains to be found.

there used to be, like with all auctions when they first start (well almost all) but now KL auction pricing is even higher than the current inventory pricing, which is hilarious to me.

If I can hijack, I occasionally see crazy low auction prices listed in Cellartracker. How do I get in on that?

sometimes there hasn’t been an auction for it in awhile, so it could just be old pricing.

IMO the best online auction is Acker. I know I know burn the heretic. I’m just saying they have the best platform. Second, the only issue should be net price to you. Like Fu said KL doesn’t charge a buyers premium but the prices are out of control.

Agree with Nick. I’ve picked up some nice wines and deals in their monthly internet auctions

sometimes those are per bottle division on a case from sotheby’s sold in a recession (2009).

I agree that there are few bargains at wine auctions today, sadly. On some sites (Winebid) pricing is often at or above retail, especially for younger vintage wines (3-9 years). Who is buying at these prices and why?

Thanks for all the responses. I’m also looking for a good place to sell an occasional 1-6 bottles (and not my whole cellar) without paying a huge listing/commission fee.

I find good deals can be had on just about all the online auction sites, whether they run auctions daily, weekly, or a few times a quarter. But it takes a lot of work, searching and patience.

K&L is probably the most fun because there are new auctions every day. Did I write fun … maybe more like obsessive/compulsive. I also find good deals on Winebid. The pricing doesn’t seem “rip off” to me as long as you include the fees in the total price you’re paying. Even HDH, Zachy’s, Acker, Wally’s etc. can produce some surprisingly good deals.

Definitely feels like all the on-line auction sites have gotten a lot more competitive in the last few years. Good for you as a seller though.

I have had decent luck at Heritage. Bottles are as described. winecommune was decimated when JJ Buckley stopped selling consignments and old stock there.

True that. I got some great stuff through there.

Adam/David - do you have a link to Heritage’s auction site? I could not locate it easily.

http://wine.ha.com/?type=google_wine+auction&gclid=CI6qwJaZmq8CFSpjTAodtygBaw

Thanks. I was looking at the wrong “Heritage”

David or others: Have you bid at any of the Skinner auctions?

I have not Carlton. I am a creature of habit and have not given them a try.

I have my homepage set to K&L Auctions. There are always gems getting SOLD everyday.