Swishing wine in your mouth with food

I found nothing on this subject in the WB archives or with a Google search. Maybe this is a new subject that has never been posted before? [scratch.gif]

I’ve never really done this much in the past, but I might try it more in the future under ideal conditions. I’ve tried it before with a cab and a mouthful of beef but it didn’t have much of a positive affect. Tonight I tried it with a traditional Greek salad and a Chianti and it was definitely a positive experience. While halfway through chewing some feta, olives and tomato, a sip of Chianti with a mouth swish was fantastic. After that traveled down the gullet, another quick taste with a couple of swishes resulted in a home run.

I often forget to incorporate a mouth swish when I drink wine for pleasure at home. But it’s probably the most important aspect of the wine appreciation process. More so than stemware. And in some cases, swishing your food and wine together is rewarding too.

Not for me, thank you very much.

First Rule of what you do in your mouth with wine and food: You do not talk about what you do in your mouth with wine and food.

Alka-Seltzer and Champagne together is a flavor explosion!

I only see a lot of bad things “coming up” with this one.

[winner.gif]

So that’s why there were no results when I searched the archives. But I did find lots of other weird topics on WB, so I figured there aren’t any rules.

And pictures of dirty toilet bowels are far more disgusting than talking about swishing some food and wine behind sealed lips.

This topic is about the advancement of enjoying fine wine and food. I hope in the years that come, people will find this thread and learn something from it.

You just need to know where to look - I found this on Wikipedia: The toothpick is known to predate the arrival of early modern humans. It is the oldest instrument for dental cleaning. The skulls of Neanderthals, as well as Homo sapiens, have shown clear signs of having teeth that were picked with a tool.

ftfy

I hope in the years that come, people will find this thread and learn something from it.

Start a blog! Wine and food pairing! A great idea.
[winner.gif]

[worship.gif]

I agree with GregT you can start your blog related to Wine and food pairing and also get good results in Google for your blog.

Francois Audouze taught me to get a small amount of blue cheese and coat the palate with it. Then draw an aged dessert wine through the mouldy stinky mess in your cake hole. What an experience!

So let me understand this.

1. Put food in mouth and start chewing.
  2. Stop chewing, open your mouth and insert wine into mouth full with partially chewed food
  3. Somehow put the glass down without spilling the contents of mouth.
  4. Chew, swirl wine with partially chewed food, and then swallow while creating simultaneously a food and wine pairing impression.
  5. Repeat

Are you kidding me?

I’d add in a rinse step before the repeat, Carlos.

Are you kidding me?

Of course.

Enjoy man. To each his own.

Bryan, I too am a fan. It’s this experience that opened my eyes to the wonderful world of wine in the first place. This is a tough crowd…

IMO, if you’re not doing this with your food and wine pairings then you’re not truly “pairing” the wine with the food. I’ll concede a half exception for those wines and foods that have a strong lingering presence on your palate after swallowing.

Good to see a couple more fans come out. But I don’t think we have enough to support a blog yet.

In the name of science, I repeated the experiment again tonight. Same salad, same bottle of wine, and same result. I’d say it’s conclusive, but not many are willing to admit it…

If you don’t know (and you might not really care), drinking liquids with food in your mouth is considered to be a breach of etiquette in many cultures, including ours…

http://www.emilypost.com/home-and-family-life/133/399-top-ten-table-manners

Why not just dunk your food in the wine glass?