testing the govino glassware

We got some of the govino plastic shatterproof glassware for spring/summer picnics, and tested them on the beach yesterday (with an 01 Wagner Ockfener Bockstein Riesling Spatlese from the M-S-R) and they are quite handy. They are flexible and won’t crack even if at the bottom of a picnic basket. They also have a pleasing geometry, including a thumb wedge, and are suitable for both whites and simple picnic reds. $12 for a pack of four, and they are quasi reusable. The packet says to dispose/recycle when the sheen is gone. They cannot be run through the dishwasher, and need to be hand rinsed. They don’t seem to have problems with developing water stains or anything. I recommend them for this kind of usage - picnics, backpacks, parks, bike rides, etc. We also pack Riedel O’s for trips, but don’t take them beyond hotel patios.

======

01 Wagner Ockfener Bockstein Riesling Spatlese [Mosel Saar Ruwer] The riesling was lightbodied, 7.5% abv, still crisp and light on its feet. Some paraffin notes on the nose, and citrus on the palate. A very pale straw color. If one tasted it blind, it would be hard to believe it was a 15 year old white wine. First German wine of the season, and a very pleasurable one at that. It’s still a bummer that so few family members enjoy these. Even one of my family who lived in Germany for a decade refuses them, only willing to touch them if they are trocken. It does mean more for me, but I can’t understand how others don’t enjoy these as much as I do. I would never have tried or learned about these if it wasn’t for all my red wine friends who insisted that for the 2001 vintage that I try some, and make room in the cellar for them. How right they were! The finish is good, 20 seconds in length, and balanced between the verve and hints of sweetness. This gets an A-

govino glasses are perfect for a boat or beach. I have a 4 pack used just for that.

2001 Riesling rocks Arv. The glasses sound interesting. A friend invited us to a beach picnic at Tahoe last summer and glass is not allowed so I will look in these alternative.

Our 2.5 yo and 6 mo like to break expensive glasses so we use these all the time. We love them.

Just don’t put them in the dishwasher! newhere

Strangely enough older ones enjoy breaking them just as much. The most careful ‘people’ with stemware around our house, were our 20 year old cats who could walk around a fully laid out table, swishing their tails delicately around all the stemware, without knocking anything over.

Govino plastic shatterproof glassware

Does anyone else see a contradiction?

FWIW Our extended family have been using Govino plastic glasses for many camping and boating excursions.
They are better shaped and lighter than the Lexan TM glasses we used before. They do scratch easily, but they don’t break.
That’s the most important issue.

P Hickner

The glasses sound great when out camping and doing my butterfly surveys. Dr Wagner`s wines are regulars on these trips too [cheers.gif] .

I’ve been using them for backyard parties for a while now. The only downside is you have to wash by hand.

Yeah, if you put them in the dishwasher, they warp. Don’t ask me how I know this…

Glad I saw this thread. Picked up an 8-pack for pool season and used them today. Fits my needs perfectly. Too bad zalto can’t make a plastic replica of their glasses.

If it is plastic, I don’t want to drink out of it. Break a glass? Who cares? Really.

I don’t worry about the cost of broken stems. But, wouldn’t want to breaking crystal stems near the pool.

-Al

I guess I don’t understand why they couldn’t make them with a top-shelf dishwasher safe plastic.

I’ve noticed that all the tough dishwasher safe plastic gets hazy / cloudy over time. So maybe the tradeoff is nice clarity versus ease of care.

There are situations where broken glass is a pain - like a hot tub.

I was also cynical and am now a covert. No longer take the riedel o camping - wine tastes great out of these and no worries about smashing underfoot…

I’ve been a member at Duckhorn for quite some time.

A year ago (or so) I visited the winery without prior notification and was told they only had room out at the “G-pop” under the tent which was fine with me.

They were serving wines in these Govino Tumblers.

Seriously… f*ck that. They were dogsh!t and not good to drink from. Don’t get me wrong, I’m cool with a red solo cup for a beer more than most. But these were terrible. I’ll never drink from them again. I promise this.

We first used them on a friend’s boat a couple of years ago and thought were great for that use. We bought some for camping trips and they are perfect for that. We have since bought a house with a pool and use them near the pool. I am not worried about the cost of breaking a glass by the pool, I am worried about the cost of having to drain the pool to make sure I get all the glass out so I can avoid the cost of cutting my feet.

In our old house we put them in the dishwasher without a problem, just put it on energy saver dry. The washer we put in our new house has a cycle like that but it is still too hot and we have warped a couple of the cups. Now I need to buy more and wash by hand.

We used them for a few years for camping. My conclusion is that they are too small (at least the ones we have are too small) and I prefer glass to plastic. I have gone back to the Riedel tumblers.

Why not? Drinking out of plastic does not send me but I understand the potential necessity. That said, to not use a good glass and still NOT be able to your the dishwasher seems counterintuitive?