TN: 1953 Claret

TN: 1953 Chateau Pomys - St Estephe, Bordeaux

I chose this mature claret to enjoy while the drizzle came down outside. The cork came out in one piece and had done an admirable job. The deep colour had a red plum rim with a good viscosity. A refined classic soft pencil box nose with mature dry cassis. With air, cooked beef aromas make themselves known to me. The savoury mouthfeel is surprisingly silky and unfurls wave after wave of gentle flavours. Its genteel passage over my tastebuds earn both respect and a smile. For my tastes, this is fully mature and on its final drinking plateau, though by no means over the hill. Will similar wines made in the last 15 years ages well?

Nice note. Fun to see how these older wines drink.

That’s a great fill level for a half century of aging.

Would that be considered top shoulder or bottom neck by those in the trade?

Thanks for the very interesting note Nicos. I’ve never heard of the Chateau, and am assuming it is not even a classified growth, so am doubly impressed that this wine shows so well after 60+ years. Do you know the provenance of the wine? Must have been buried deep.

I understand the 1953 bordeaux vintage is quite legendary and drank well from it’s relative youth through to making old bones. As to whether or not such under the radar properties of current bordeaux vintages will age as well, I sincerely doubt it, but we’ll have to wait another 40 years to know for sure.

Arv, I reckon that the fill level is top shoulder.

Gary, my pleasure. It came from a cold European cellar.

The wine has an extremely beautiful color – just from that it looks delicious. Well played!

1953 was a very good vintage and actually one my favorites. The wines are rarely profound like those from '45, '47, '59, or '61, but they make for that in charm and accessibility. They just always seem to be perfectly mature if that makes sense. I haven’t had this particular wine but it sounds great and does have a beautiful color. I can imagine exactly what it tastes like. Nice note.

It sure is a lovely color, congrats Nicos!

I drank bottles of 1953 Margaux & Palmer around 1980 and they were two of the best Clarets I ever consumed…

TTT

1953 can be a tasty vintage.

Thanks Nicos -

I went through quite a bit of the '75, '78 & '82 Pomys, a pretty consistent Petite Chateaux - I usually drank them within 15-20 years of age - nice to see notes about it completely fleshed out -

Pomys is actually a pretty cool Chateau on the outskirts of Lessac, inland from Montrose. And I believe they have a restaurant and hotel on premise as well.

You are fortunate to live close to the source, Nicos! As always, a well written and informative tasting note.

That would be a birth year wine for my sister.

Happy Easter. I trust you will be having a lamb course with interesting wine.

Thomas, thanks for the information! I have yet to visit this Chateau.

Nancy, hello and thank you! Happy Easter to you too! As the ‘Greek Easter’ is a week later this year, this is when the lamb will be on the charcoal fired bbq. I will try and drink something interesting. Of course, I do have a few bottles from your birth year, perhaps we can share one in the future. 1970 was a most successful vintage. :wink:

Funny, Nicos. How about our anniversary vintage? There are some good New World bottles from 1978.

Nancy, from what I have drunk 1978 was quite successful in:

• Bordeaux
  • Burgundy, especially for the reds
  • Rhone, both north and south.
  • Piedmont, i.e. Barolo and Barbaresco.

Your anniversary vintage is a very good one. :slight_smile:

I had a '53 Ausone at Bern’s last year. It was ridiculously good. The only '53 that I’ve ever had.

Guess I should take my sister to Bern’s!

Yes, and if I lived in the USA, I would join you.