Open great wines for fun or occasions only

When would you open one of your best bottles ?

• Only for very special occasions, graduations, 25th anniv etc
  • Any reasonable occasion, birthday etc
  • Only at a tasting event with fellow wine drinkers
  • You never open, you keep them to look at and talk about
  • You will open any wine anytime you feel in the mood, midweek SQN with ribs !!

0 voters

Looking at another thread about cult wines it was mentioned that you would never open a SQN with midweek meatloaf. I personally think differently, i think its the perfect time to open it. Saving wines for special occasions only does not make sense to me, of course i believe in having good wines available for occasions but equally if i feel like a 2007 Saxum with ribs on a Tuesday night then i would not hesitate, wine to me is about drinking and enjoying, not pampering the label

In general I like to open wines that will be appreciated. Often the grandest of occasions requires simply good solid wines that will not be the stars of the show.

I agree Ian, for example a wedding there is so much else happening who notices if its Krug or Korbel

I almost feel that the “great” wines show better in more modest settings. If you’re gearing up for this great tasting event it’s more likely that the wine will disappoint. I think group tastings/dinners are always better suited for “interesting” wines where they will stimulate thought and conversation.

For me, it’s more about the people I am sharing wine with and not so much the “occasion.” If i’m having a midweek dinner with a great friend who loves wine, you bet I’ll open anything they want.

+1. Company trumps occasion!

What Sherri said. The time of week is irrelevant. Nor does the relative complexity of the food matter.

As to whether Saxum or SQN are actually your “great” wines, there’s another thread on that.

Considering I find that the best accompaniment to so many great wines is a simple roast chicken, I vote for anytime, or for me anytime the wine can suitably be the center of the meal.

YES!

To me there are “special occasion” wines in my collection, but those wines get that designation irrespective of price.

If I know a wine drinking friend of mine will enjoy a certain wine of mine l’ll save that wine for when he’s over. Or if I have a wine tied to a specific life event, then that’s a special occasion wine, but it could be $20 or a $200 bottle.

Frankly I’m a bit of a selfish drinker as times as I sometimes prefer to drink a really good bottle alone at home and take my time and be introspective with it. This is often the first of a set of a new producer I’m trying so I want to get a good feeling for it before I bring it anywhere else. Of course some of this is based on the fact that I don’t have a group of the similarly afflicted with whom I can enjoy wine…

I make the wine the occasion. No hesitation.

The only wine I have set aside for a specific ocassion is birth year wine; otherwise, I agree with Alan. I open whatever I’m in the mood to drink, I don’t have a matrix to guide me.

I’m all for opening any wine any time. My main goal is that the people I’m with enjoy it. Secondary is that they ‘appreciate’ it. And if I’m unsure I just open whatever I’m in the mood for.

+1---- Saxum or SQN are not great wines IMHO.

+1

And +10000000 on the Saxum/SQN thing.

OK, no hating on what any individual thinks is a great wine.

That is totally subjective and not relevant to this thread

But I will never open SQN with ribs (or anything else).

This. I’m not a collector, I’m a drinker.

I completely agree. I keep wines in order to age them, not for resale. There is no better occasion to open a nice bottle of wine than to enjoy that nice bottle of wine.

I learned years ago that your best wines should be shared with those who truly enjoy fine wine, whether it be your spouse, friends, or like minded acquaintances. If your spouse isn’t into fine wine, don’t bring him/her to a 100 point tasting. The ice cubes were bad enough, but when I saw she brought her own 7-up too, pouring big gulp sized glasses, I became a little choosy about which wines I opened from then on. [wow.gif]