Post-IPNC Oregon Pinot Noir Blind Tasting, 2008 Vintage, 7/27/15

We are pleased to announce the 2015 Oregon Pinot Noir Throwdown featuring the 2008 vintage. Once again it’s the day after IPNC, Monday July 27, 2015 at Walter Scott Wines, 6130 Bethel Heights Road, Salem, OR 97304.

This tradition began with Wineberserkers icon Bob Wood’s “Another Shitty '07 Oregon Pinot Noir” thread which sparked the inaugural event hosted by Jim Anderson at Patricia Green Cellars. Subsequent events have been hosted by Todd Hamina at Biggio-Hamina (2005 vintage), Marcus Goodfellow at Matello (2004) and John Grochau at Bjornson (2002). We’re happy to be hosting this years event at Walter Scott.

There will be 6-8 flights of 4-5 wines each. After every other flight we’ll identify the wines tasted, and take a short break. We should finish the formal tasting by ~4:00pm and have plenty of time to socialize and make plans for 2016!

Each attendee brings either 2 750’s or a magnum of the same wine. This is a double blind tasting; the selection is curated and only the core team organizing the event will know what the entire slate is. No duplicates are allowed.

It takes some organization to prepare the flights, thus we request that everyone arrives by Noon so that we can prepare the double blind tasting and get started by 12:30.

Attendees should also plan to contribute to a potluck snack buffet: bread, charcuterie, pre or post tasting wines, and especially water.

The event is limited to 32 people to ensure adequate pours. Once we reach capacity, we will keep a wait list.

To sign up please submit your name along with your available 2008 Oregon Pinot Noirs. using our Google Doc form:

Alternatively, feel free to contact me via PM or email.

Thanks,

Andy Steinman
Walter Scott Wines

Wow Andy sounds like a great event. Wish I were staying over until Monday. Blind tastings can indeed be humbling. Even for the winemakers who make the wine being tasted blind.

All - please use this link to submit:

At some point will there be a list of attendees posted so we can coordinate driving?

I’m in for this one. Just submitted my response. Looking forward to it.

The Crenshaw’s are in for 2 with wines submitted. They have some interesting onesies and will check on more if need variety. Thanks, Mike

I’m realizing that it’s going to be iffy for me to make it, so I’d arrange a drop off of 30-40ish stems and the wine prior to July 11th if possible. Thanks.

Thanks all!

Mike, I’ve got Bob and Susan’s entries now.

Rick, I will be posting a list later today. We are getting close to full and will start on a wait list thereafter. Lots of interesting wines to come.

Todd, thanks on the glasses. It will be great to have those on hand. We are doing a pre-IPNC Dinner on the Thursday Evening and expect to have the glassware we bring in for that available for Monday as well which should cover the bulk of what we need.

More to come!

I can coordinate a bus from Portland if there’s enough interest.

There’s a company that’s 2 blocks from my house, so we can meet at my place in NE or the bagel shop across the street. Their rates are $75 an hour for up to a dozen people so should be around $50 if we can get enough folks.

Looking forward to it! See y’all in July…

Andy…many thanks for hosting. This tasting has become such a great tradition. It’s remarkably hard to “one up” IPNC but this comes about as close as you can get!

Looking very forward to sharing and participating again!

RT

So glad you’ll be there Dan! I love tasting wine with you.

I submitted three wine selections I know I have, but I have plenty more to choose from if those are taken or from an area over represented.

P Hickner

Don’t want to miss this, I’m in.

Unfortunately I’m going to be out this time – it’s my 20th anniversary that weekend and my wife has requested that we do something different for our anniversary this year (we’ve been at the tastings for the last 3 anniversaries). Enjoy everyone!!

Darn!

Paul – love the new quote at the bottom of your signature. Awesome stuff.

You will be missed!

Thanks for all the responses!

As of this moment we have 34 signed up with two a waiting list. As a courtesy to those on the Wait List, If any who have signed up need to cancel, please let me know promptly. Here is the list as of 5/18/15:

Attendees:
Ken Pahlow
Erica Landon
Andy Steinman
Steve Miller
Marcus Goodfellow
Gaironn Poole
Greg Malcolm
Doug Ackerman
Durstin Selfridge
Rick Allen
Richard Trimpi
Joanne Trimpi
Todd Hamina
Jeff Hoofard
Ian Burch
John Grochau
Mile Passo
Jim Diven
Peter Hickner
Bill Jones
Boyd Pearson
Chas Stiltner
Andrew Rich
Mark Stevens
Paul Willenberg
Vincent Fritzsche
Bob Crenshaw
Glenn Levine
Mel Levine
Jean Yates
Dan Rinke
John Osburn
Shane Clayton
Sandra Miller

Wait List:

Preston Schram
Jim Anderson

A very interesting list of wines and snacks have been submitted and this promises to be a great afternoon!

Sad this is on a Monday. I understand you’d like it after IPNC but anyone with a M-F 8-5pm job isn’t able to attend.