Puzzled about Rhys-Please weigh in

I don’t know whether to feel condescended to or placated, after getting this email:

Dear Rhys waiting list member-
Thank you for your patience and interest in Rhys. While we do not yet have enough Rhys wine to offer, we would like to extend an opportunity to purchase some of our Alesia bottlings from the terrific 2012 vintage. The Alesia wines are made in our Rhys cave with the same methods, care and attention that our Rhys estate wines see, but the fruit is purchased rather than grown in our estate vineyards. We think these wines offer terrific value and a great introduction to our philosophy and aesthetic. All wait list members purchasing Alesia during this release will receive an offer of Rhys wine in our next release, securing a spot on our Rhys mailing list. Please note that all of our offerings have a four bottle minimum purchase requirement which includes free shipping to anywhere in the US.

The Alesia wines are excellent for the money. Why would you feel condescended?

I don’t understand, what’s condescending about the offer?

I cut my teeth on Alesia while waiting for Rhys designated wines. Loved them all. Buy some, you will not be disappointed.

What’s the problem?

I’m also at a loss to see what the issue is.

Many wineries offer you sloppy seconds before you get access to the good stuff.

that is not the case here.
win win IMO

As for the final sentence in bold font, this is the same deal for all Rhys customers. So at the risk of piling on, I too am curious what you are concerned about…?

Scott, is that supposed to be funny?

I bought a case of each last week. Glad to get it.

You shouldn’t feel condescended to, Kevin and the crew at Rhys are great people. They just don’t make as much wine as their customers demand, so there’s a wait list as is the case with many of the best wines. The Alesia wines are great, the distinction is that the Rhys wines are from vineyards they own, the Alesia wines are made from purchased grapes, so they can make more. The Alesia wines are fantastic and can typically be drunk earlier, the Rhys are typically made to age. So buy some Alesia, see if it’s for your, then buy the Rhys you’re offered if you like it. I used to be on the Rhys list, but am not anymore, but am still probably going to buy some of the Alesia because it really good.

Cheers,
-Robert

The Alesia wines are excellent. Drinking a 2011 Alesia chard now and just stumbled across this post. Feel good that you can drink these wines now (although I believe they will age) while waiting on the list or letting your Rhys bottles age a bit. Good stuff.

Marlene-

People digest written/printed correspondence uniquely all the time. I can honestly say that Kevin & the Rhys team have never struck me as condescending in any interaction. The Alesia wines are excellent and I highly recommend them, although the latest PN release needs some cellar time.

Kevin Harvey is extremely accessible here and I do think you should PM him and give your feedback about the language that gave you pause. The shipping policy is exactly the way I like to do direct business w/a producer, but one size doesn’t always fit all.

The Rhys team has always delivered for me in the bottle and in service/communication.

Condescending post deleted :wink:

Marlene,
I always feel that people are condescending to me, but I’m not sure that the Alesia offering is in anyway intended as such. You spend a max of $200 for nice wines and you are on the list.
That said, you might not get what you want from the list, when you are on. I have bought a little over the years on and off since the very beginning, but never had the very best wines. So the great epiphany is still to come.

Marlene I totally see the problem but the rest of us have read so much from Rhys that we hear their “voice” which is clinically precise and direct and transparent. I could see the exact same letter from a smarmy winery being read as, you didn’t make the cut but here’s a consolation “prize”, we will let you take some of our lesser unsellable wine off our hands. If you had the. context we have, Rhys’s email would just seem professional to you. Also some of the Alesias have been ridiculous bargains with some age.

Puzzled about the OP.

no–sorry
I meant that these wines stand by themselves and are not sloppy seconds.

Not an Alesia fan, too many releases just hit us poorly. When the label seemed to disappear a few years ago I thought that a smart move.

Agreed. Going a step further, years ago I figured Rhys would be a “strikezone” wine for me. I’ve tasted and purchased plenty of acceptable bottlings (2005 - 2011), a few delicious ones and a healthy number that left me scratching my head. For the prices being asked, I expected a high percentage of “Wow”. For my palate, I can’t justify the expense. More bottles for others. We’ll see what time does.

RT