Since when was entry level Meursault so damn expensive?

The full retail prices I’m seeing across the board in my neck of the woods for the village-level wines seem to start at $40 these days. It seems to me that Chablis is still the relative value play for white Burg in the under $50 category.
[whistle.gif]

Some people buy Montrachet for that.

Truth. [bow.gif]

it’s getting worse every vintage–despite the Euro weakness.

What gives?

Enough people pay it…

Michael

Supply and demand. The former is stingy, the latter exploding.

Maybe, but one could argue that village Meursault far exceeds expectations for entry level Chardonnay. For what’s in the glass, $40 is spot on, IMO.

This is possible?

pretty sure he’s making fun of Mark getting some montrachet due to a price flub

you just have to find something else to replace it. Chablis is certainly one choice, although I don’t know how long that will last, as it’s a relatively small place. Dry chenin blanc for me is becoming a more frequent substitute.

There is very little decent village Meursault, Chassagne and Puligny out there for under $50.

My feeling is that the riper, lower acid, earlier drinking style which (just in my opinion) is the main culprit in premox is also continuing to strengthen demand and pricing. And that is why producers show little interest and no urgency about premox.

Try Paul Pernot Puligny Chris. It’s usually a great QPR, but right at the 50 buck mark.

Try this, an excellent Meursault based Bourgogne Blanc: Dupont-Fahn Bourgogne Blanc Chaumes Des Perrieres. Usually sells for $30 to $35/bottle. It is from a vineyard that was declassified from Meursault to Bourgogne level because some topsoil was added. Hence the name, which roughly translates to the Stubbles of Perrieres.

Meursault, like Puligny and Chassagne fetches such prices these days. Can’t change it. My cheaper alternatives, which hardly ever “work” the same way, are St. Aubin for a Puligny, Santenay blanc for a Chassagne blanc and Auxey Duresses or to a lesser extent St. Romain for a Meursault. Or a Bourgogne Blanc from good producers. I’d rather drink a Bourgogne Blanc from Roulot than an unexciting Meursault Village from a not so great producer at the same price point. Other less expensive alternatives such as Chablis or wines from the Chalonnais or Mâconnais are not really a substitute for me because they taste differently to me in very many (but not all) cases.

Good advice.

Since the Federal Reserve started inventing $1 Trillion in fake money every year, and the Top 1% were handed more free [albeit fake] money than they could ever dream of spending.

Ever since premox. You have to pay up for that possibility.

To be Frank -

30 years ago, a great California Chardonnay sold for $15 a bottle. A village Meursault from a good producer sold fore $25-$30 a bottle - 30 years ago!

Today, that same California Chardonnay is selling for double the price - and a village Meursault is selling for around $40 a bottle.

So in essence, the Meursault producers have not kept up with the times -

Aha, gotcha. I was gonna say…

Thanks!