Semillon

Looking for some recommendations for wine composed predominately of semillon and aged for a time in oak. I know that the obvious answer would be white bordeaux. However, I have read that this type of wine is also produced in California and Australia (Hunter Valley). Looking for something from a quality producer that is easily available in the US.

Look for L’Ecole 41 Semillon 2013 (with about 25 % Sauv Blanc)

I’ve found Tyrrell’s Vat 1 to be something of a revelation, especially with age on it.

Best,
Jonathan

The best in my opinion - thrilling stuff -

KALIN WINE CELLARS releases their Semillon after 10-15 years in the bottle and those are extraordinary as well -

Happs Semillon from Australia is available from some sources in the US (e.g. Astor Wines in NYC), and is excellent. You don’t specify what you’re looking for in terms of sweetness, but the Monzabillac region in SW France produces Barsac style wines that are often very good, and very good value.

I would love to be proven wrong, but I doubt you’re going to find any decent Semillon in the US that is easily available from anywhere other than from a few internet sources.

Tyrrells and Brokenwood from the Hunter. Peter Lehmann make some nice Semillon from the Barossa.

Buty in Washington makes a marvelous Semillon blend, usually 60-70% Semillon, the rest Sauvignon and Muscadelle. Aged in oak and concrete. Fabulous white and worth trying even its not varietal Semillon.

Is this available in the US from anyone other than Total Wine?

To be more specific, I seek a dry, oak aged semillon or semillon blend.

Haven’t had it for a few years but Pride made a very good one.

Tyrell’s currently is only available at Total. I had a great visit w/Bruce last October. The wines were delicious. Other top Semillon’s can be found in South Africa and some of the most exciting New World options in my very biased opinion.
Boekenhoutskoof Semillong is always a thing of beauty as is Cape Point Vineyards (and Duncan added a healthy amount in his Savage White).
Arrow Heart Semillon (made by Chris Alheit) ~ from the La Colline vineyard planted in 1936 on the southern slope of Dassenberg (Franschhoek). It has some dark-skinned Semillon vines inter-planted with the light skinned Semillon. Of course, his signature wine: Cartology usually has 10-15% Semillon blended in.
Kokerboom from Sadie Family in the Olifants ~ planted in the 1930s ~ Red & White Semillon (30:70) w/an average yield of 17hl/ha. T Voetpad on the northwest side of Piequetberg Mtns. has a fair amount of old vines Semillon in it too (planted between 1900-1928).

Kalin, Forlorn Hope.

In Australia the two big ones are Tyrrells Vat 1 and McWilliams Mt Pleasant Lovedale Semillon. As Jonathan alluded the wines really need some age on them, at least 5-7 years for the lower end quality stuff and up to 10-15 for the Vat 1 and Lovedales before they start strutting their stuff. Young, they are hard work, not giving up much.

Vat 1
http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/tyrrells+vat+one+semillon+hunter+valley+new+south+wales+australia/-/usa

KL Wines has some Andrew Thomas (bigger style) and

De Iuliis is available at a few places in the US.
http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/de+iuliis+semillon+hunter+valley+new+south+wales+australia

Available locally. Will start here. Thank you.

We had Carlisle The Derivative last night after driving long day to south FL. I can’t stay out of the stuff.
Only 54% Sem though

I always find it interesting in these threads that people ignore the very basic guidelines set out by the person asking the question. I like Hunter Valley Semillon a lot, but most are not oak aged, which was part of the OP’s request. I actually think none are aged in oak, definitely not the ones mentioned as the classic style is by definition done in stainless. It’s a completely different style.

L’Ecole 41 is a great call.

There are also some nice examples of the style you want from Australia, but you’d be looking to the other side of the continent in Margaret River. Maybe people who know specific producers there better than I do can chime in with suggestions.

A good bottle from Kalin can be wonderful, though, there can be some vintage to vintage and even bottle to bottle variation.

I’ve had two older Tyrells Vat 1, both around 10 years old at the time and both well-stored; I’d always wanted to try an Aussie Semillon with some bottle age and sadly both these disappointed me. They seemed most like mass-produced Muscadets – lean, mean, somewhat dilute, no magic in the bottle for these two, unfortunately.

+1

the bolded bit will be a problem for Hunter Semillon. The style was always very much not to oak age - it was time and quite piercing acidity that enabled it to transform. I don’t know if some producers dabble in oak these days.

Peter Lehmann’s Semillon (Margaret?) mentioned above is I believe oak aged.

Definitely worth looking at Semillon / Sauvignon Blanc (SSB) blends from Margaret River. Cullen do two very good ones, plus a Margaret River white which might be a similar mix. Plenty of other good ones around, but it was the Cullen that struck me as the most interesting.