TN: 2001 Château Rieussec (France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes)

• 2001 Château Rieussec - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (6/24/2015)
    This flamboyant fruit has settled. Very similar nose as the last bottle two years ago but not as strong fruit notes and more noticeable burn sugar. Dense yellow fruit driven nose, mango and peach, strong burnt sugar and botrytis, ginger and clove. Incredibly thick but not cloying due to strong presence of acidity, a hint of red and yellow fruit combined with strong burnt sugar, bright acidity and lovely long finish. Since the release, I have always believed that this is a level below the 01 D’Yquem and Climen sand this convinced me once again. Nevertheless this is an exceptional Sauternes. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Really appreciate you checking in on this, Kevin. I have only two fulls and I have been very hesitant about opening either of them just yet. Was yours a full, and did you decant/slow-ox at all?

I don’t believe I’ve actually had this for almost 8 years. At the time, it was running neck-and-neck with the Suduiraut and, in hindsight, just below the D’Yquem. At the time, a 99+ for me, which I just don’t pretty much ever give out.

Your notes show a lot going on, which is good to see.

Slainte,

Mike

Thanks for the note! I’ve got a half case of fulls that I haven’t touched yet. I had planned to wait another 5-10 before getting into them, but I’m always tempted to crack into one every time I see a new note posted on CT.

$22 per 375ml on futures, so who cares if it’s a step below!

Mike,
For my palate, Sauternes always provide drinking pleasure. Having said that, I prefer them young or closer to thirty years. As the opulent fresh fruit expression subsides, the sugar component to starts to be a bit too strong and the complexity/precision are not quite there yet. I tasted them blind right after release and D’Yquem was a couple steps above all the others.

Robert,
This was from a half bottle so perhaps a bit further advanced.

David,
I bought the Climens for $58. IMO, Sauternes are the best value wines.

The single year I bought deeply in Sauternes was 2001. Very pleased to have a magnum of this very wine ($87!) - destined for my retirement party, I think.

Yes.

For current drinking, I prefer the 05 and 09 Rieussec. I think the 01 is in an awkward place right now and will be better with some additional age.