What's your go-to AFWE-friendly Steak Wine?

Last night’s casual at home dinner featured thick cut Porterhouse steaks…a rare treat. Grilled simple with garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and allowed to rest while topped with a few dabs of quality butter.

Pulled the last bottle of Argentine Malbec from the cellar: 2006 Rutini Antologia Rural, 13.9%abv. Great pairing. Densely colored but adroit in the mouth. Fine balance, harmonious and long. Can’t find the stuff in the US and future trips to Buenos Aires aren’t currently planned.

We drink a small swimming pool’s worth of Pinot, Gamay, lighter Sangiovese and various similar reds every year.

What’s your go-to AFWE Steak Wine? Say, $25 - $75 retail.

RT

I’ve never thought of steak as an AFWE meal. More often than not I grab something from Ridge, either the Estate Cabernet or one of the Zinfandel blends. I have never considered them AFWE. The red wines from Matthiasson are a great choice (and clearly AFWE), but the availability is so limited.

Bx from a not overripe (classic!?) year.

Loire red.

Loire red. Cahors. CdP from Charvin, VT or the like. But zinfandel from Ridge or Dashe works too.

Nothing beats a good AFWE’d Bordeaux for me with steaks.

But, since I eat more steaks at home than I can afford to uncork an aged Bordeaux for each occasion, Loire cab franc-based reds are my next go to’s, then a Barolo-Barbaresco.

Hobo Cabernet Sauvignon, aged Laurel Glen or Counterpoint, and ESJ Syrah are some CA options.

Last week, a 2010 Fattorie Romeo Del Castello Etna Allegracore (primarily Nerello Mascalese) was delicious with a mixed grill that included steak.

we drank Fleurie 2011 from Foillard recently with ribeye. The bright acidity worked for me with the fatty meat.

Northern Rhone

Faury St Joe VV
Monier St. Joe
Ostatu Riserva Rioja

Syrah, maybe N. Rhône, which I did at a recent work crew dinner at a steak house in DC. But I eat precious little steak, otherwise.

Yes, Cru Bojo. Also, Northern Rhone on the youngish side.

Loire red or domestic cab franc

Some recent, lowly Bx:

2001 Château du Tertre
1997 Château Prieuré-Lichine
2002 Château Haut-Marbuzet
1993 Château Troplong Mondot
2001 La Petite Eglise
1999 Château Le Bon Pasteur

All, variously, good with either beef or lamb. None broke the bank.

Crazy, I know, but the Baumard Le Mont

AFWE ?

African Federation of Women Entrepreneurs ?

Advanced Four Wheel Equipment ?
neener

I ´d pick 1997 Jamet Cote brune - or 1998 Rostaing La Landonne

$25 - $75 retail, as per Richard’s original post request?

+1

Wasn´t more after release … [cheers.gif]

( pileon )

Cadence or Andrew Will BDX blends
Foradori Teroldego
Ridge Geyserville or Lytton Springs
White Rock Claret
Big Basin Homestead
Matthiasson Cabernet
Brunelli Rosso di Montalcino
Dashe Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel
Heitz Napa and/or Trailside
Bunchgrass Cabernet (kinda hard to find)