Gadget to remove Sulpfites?

Has anyone seen this? A new product (Ullo) that sits in the top of your wine glass that filters out sulphites as you pour the wine through it.
What are your thoughts?
[scratch.gif]
newhere You’ll have to search it, I wasn’t sure about attaching a link.

what would be the point? Make some white wines with heavy so2 ready to drink quicker after popping the cork?

One has to wonder what else it is stripping out of the wine.

I posted on this device several weeks ago in a thread.
It’s a device that is designed for those folks hyper-sensitive to Sulfites. Seems to have good Science behind
it and makes sense…not one of those gimicky devices designed to separate wine lovers from their $$'s.
Tom

I’d love to know how one can “filter” out sulphites.

The other product on the market to “remove dangerous sulphites” is actually just hydrogen peroxide, which simply oxidises the wine, binding up all the free sulphites first before ruining the wine.

If a wine has so many sulphites that it is unpleasant or causes a reaction, people should just stop buying it.

The number of people who blame sulphites for their alcohol-induced headaches is crazy.

The big problem here is that wines have to say “contains sulphites” on them therefore people think they are bad, therefore they will hand over money for gimmicks to remove them. It’s all silly.

I’m not an expert on sulphites, but this is a good example of how the human mind works. Some labeling, authority and/or consensus forms on a conclusion that isn’t actually correct (sulphites in wine cause headaches - or at least for the vast majority of drinkers - there may be a small number who have some kind of reaction and that is probably what the original post is referring to), and then people confirm that conclusion in their mind by reading it backwards into events that happen.

A great example I often use is sugar making kids hyper. Experts will tell you that isn’t a real phenomenon - the human body just doesn’t work that way - but everyone believes it. And since everyone believes it, they create evidence in their minds that proves it: “my kids are acting crazy this afternoon - ah, it must have been those cookies they had after lunch.” And thus people become more and more certain of it over time, even though it isn’t actually the case.

I had someone tell me how it was so nice drinking wine while traveling in France, because the wines don’t have sulphites and so she never got headaches. I didn’t correct her, of course, but the reality is that (a) wines in France do have sulphites, and (b) the reason she didn’t get headaches is probably because she was on vacation, happy, relaxed, probably getting to sleep in later in the mornings, etc. rather than because of anything different in a glass of wine there than here. But in her mind, that cemented the conventional view on sulphites and headaches.

Not sure what it is made of, but could be catalyzing the Sulfites to Sulfates, leaving no taste of the Sulfate.

Some of this (among other things) was argued in this thread from a while back…

Check out this site:

http://juststiqit.com/#works.

I could not find any documentation on the actual chemical mechanism that would enable this thing to work.

They might not have sulphites, but they probably do have sulfites neener

Well, technically the question was about sulpfites :slight_smile:

Oh. Nevermind.

Zyrtec.

I think all the answers are to be found here:

If you can get through this, and be warned, the going is slow, you’ll be pretty much set up.

Key takeaway is that the shiny side of the aluminum foil is the business side. So always double it over - you want to prevent the psychotronic rays from going in AND FROM COMING OUT of your head! I’m posting this as a public service.

I do believe this will work on sulpfites as well.

Greg, I noticed that he wasn’t wearing his aluminum foil hat during filming. I bet that psychotropic rays were forcing him to shoot the second half off-center, preventing dissemination of the key details of proper aluminum foil hat construction. No doubt a zombie plot.

Good point. At first I wasn’t sure whether it was a joke or not and I was thinking that if it was, the guy deserves an Oscar. But that nice shot of green with nothing going on was perfect.

However, there is a way to get rid of the sulfites if you really believe that’s important. (I don’t.) It’s something done when treating water and it’s used in food production. You add a bit of hydrogen peroxide or H202 and it converts the sulfite into a sulfate. You can get food grade H202 and put a drop into your glass of wine and it supposedly doesn’t affect the flavor. Alternatively, you can buy something like SO2GO or JusttheWine.

Since they use it in water treatment, I guess it works on sulfides too, so if you get a rotten egg smell in your wine you might try it.

http://www.so2go.us/

1 Like

Yeah, you could do this, but without knowing the level of sulfites in the wine or the wine’s pH, you could ruin the wine.

Here’s something that might be of interest: H202 (hydrogen peroxide–); S02 (sulfur dioxide); add together, H2S04 (sulfuric acid).

If my Sulps fite, I just keep them in separate rooms until they calm down.

Here is the website

This looks great. I am on the fence, but will wait till the points come out :stuck_out_tongue:

If it’s gluten free I’m all in!