What the heck is this?

So what Roumier is this?

Herve Roumier or perhaps Laurent? Can’t recall what either of their first vintages were.

Here’s what the WineBid listing says:

About Domaine Roumier
Domaine Roumier, of Chambolle Musigny, Burgundy, is owned and operated by Jean-Marie Roumier and his son Christophe. The estate’s 30 acres of vineyards are spread through nine appellations, including notable parcels in Bonnes Mares, Musigny, Corton-Charlemagne, Charmes-Chambertin and Chambolle-Musigny. Georges Roumier took over the domain in 1924 when he married into the family that owned it. He began making estate bottled wine in 1945. His son Jean-Marie began running the estate in 1953, and 1982 his son, Christophe, became a full partner in the domain. Robert M. Parker Jr. has written that “Christophe Roumier has brought his family’s already famous domaine to a singular level of excellence though an exemplary application of intelligence, sensitivity, and hard work.”

Robert – I assume Ian is baffled by the label, which doesn’t look like the G. or Christophe Roumier labels.

The line at the bottom of the label suggests it’s a negotiant (M.L. Parisot) bottling.

Bob, Winebid’s description is misleading.

The domaine commonly referred to as “Domaine Roumier” is actually “Domaine G. Roumier,” now run by Christope. There is also a Domaine Laurent Roumier, who is Christophe’s cousin, which has vineyards that were originally part of Domaine G. Roumier and that were reclaimed by George’s eldest son Alain when he retired from Comte de Vogue, which then went to his son, Hervé, to his son Laurent. Alain appears to have taken back vineyards in the 1990s.

This bottle is labeled as having been bottled by M. L. Parisot, a negociant. The name “Domaine Roumier” on the label certainly doesn’t prove that it was vinified by Domaine G. Roumier because the legendary Roumier domaine described in Winebid’s listing is “Domaine G. Roumier,” and according to Don Cornwell’s summary of Christophe’s testimony in the Kurniawan trial, “G. Roumier” was on the labels of domaine wines until 1962, when it changed to “Domaine G. Roumier.”

It may be that Domaine G. Roumier sold some Bonnes Mares to Parisot in 1973. Christophe testified that a label for a 1962 BM was for a negociant bottle of a wine they sold in barrel, so at least some negociant Roumier BM was made at some point. But Winebid’s omission of the negociant from the description is misleading at best.

That’s what I assumed this was, but couldn’t really be sure. I know it was not a Domaine George Roumier label (I’m familiar with it, and had wines of his from the 60s).

I know that the other Roumiers are fairly clear in how they label their wines, which is why this was super confusing. I’m not buying it, I was just really perplexed as I have never seen this label.

If I were really onto figuring this out, I’d try to track down Hedges and Butler, the UK firm that first imported the bottling. My guess is that they’d have better chances of having the story than any vestiges of Parisot.

fred

1973 Vintage, all this happened 40 years ago! Although the bottle and label are in great condition, maybe this was more recently bottled. Would love to hear more of the story on this.

I think at the time the “only” Roumier able to sell Bonnes Mares to a negotiant was the Georges Roumier estate. So, if it’s authentically labeled…the source was that estate…whether they sold wine or grapes to Parisot. Both are plausible…though it is an odd label.

If they merely sold grapes, it wouldn’t be labeled as Roumier, would it?

It shouldn’t be …whether grapes or finished wine…it should be “Bonnes Mares” “mise en bouteille par”…that’s why this is so odd.

I was responding to this.

It’s pretty strange too to have printed in large letters diagonally across the label, “Bottled In France”. Bonnes Mares? Where else would it be bottled?

think ,for the french market is “mis en bouteille” an for the english market was “bottled by” and “bottled in France”.
gives so many bottles in that style Example 1971 Chambertin Clos de Beze from Drouhin- Laroze bottled in switzerland etc…
or here is the same label ( “mis en bouteille” and “Frankreich”)
https://www.jahrhundertweine.de/shpSR.php?A=5300&p1=266&p2=325&p3=581