Gallo Buying Spree Continues - Next Up: Talbott

E. & J. Gallo Wine Purchases Talbott Vineyards in Santa Lucia Highlands
Wine giant continues buying spree with a premium Pinot Noir and Chardonnay producer

Continuing a recent spending spree on established wineries, E. & J. Gallo announced today that the company has made a deal to purchase Talbott Vineyards in California’s Santa Lucia Highlands. The deal is slated to close Sept. 4. Terms were not disclosed, but the sale will include the brand, winery and the 565-acre Sleepy Hollow Vineyard.

Talbott Vineyards is located in Carmel Valley, 21 miles south of Monterey Bay. Exclusively producing estate wines, the winery has been a reliable source of quality Pinot Noir and Chardonnay for many years. Founder Robb Talbott planted the first vineyards in 1982 and expanded in 1994, acquiring the Sleepy Hollow Vineyard in the nearby Santa Lucia Highlands.

“After more than 33 years dedicating my life to the establishment and growth of Talbott Vineyards, I am pleased to transition ownership of our wonderful company to E. & J. Gallo,” said Talbott in a statement. “They represent the same commitment to quality that has been part of our heritage since the beginning.”

Gallo has sourced grapes from Sleepy Hollow in the past, and has had a relationship with Talbott for 10 years. Looking to sell, Talbott told Gallo representatives that the company was available.

Roger Nabedian, senior vice president and general manager of Gallo’s premium wine division, believes that the brand and vineyard fit well in their roster of premium Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays. “We have a high regard for this up-and-coming appellation, and when the opportunity presented itself, we took it,” he told Wine Spectator. “We see Santa Lucia Highlands as a good consumer value, and Talbott is a great addition to our portfolio.”

Nabedian says Gallo has no immediate plans to change how the Sleepy Hollow Vineyard will be used for both Talbott and other wineries that buy grapes.

The purchase expands Gallo’s presence in the Central Coast, with Bridlewood and Edna Valley Wineries, as well as their vineyard holdings, with over 20,000 acres.

Family-owned Gallo now owns more than 80 brands. In March, the company purchased J Vineyards in Healdsburg and, just last month, the historic Asti Vineyard in Geyserville.

http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show?id=52024

I saw the Kali Hart Pinot on the shelf yesterday for $15.99.

It will be interesting to see if they continue selling off fruit from Sleepy Hollow or hold for themselves.

Wise move from Gallo IMHO - land is king :slight_smile:

Cheers.

It will be interesting to see if they continue selling off fruit from Sleepy Hollow or hold for themselves.
I know the article says they will, but you gotta wonder . . .

Wise move from Gallo IMHO - land is king :slight_smile:

Cheers.

On my first formal date with my wife we went to a restaurant called Confusion. I ordered a bottle of the Sleepy Hollow chard and the somm approached the table proclaiming it the finest chardonnay made in California. Needless to say he made me look very good.

I must say my mind is tired of following all the buys and sells, but in my quest today to avoid work, I opened this thread. Ouch. Sleepy Hollow to Gallo.

We visited the Talbott SLH tasting room earlier this year and I mentioned how much we liked the Arcadian Sleepy Hollow wines. The lady running the tasting room told me they had decided to stop selling grapes to other wineries because they could use them all in their own wines. [cry.gif]