Champagne in Stems Other Than Flutes

What am I missing here?

I notice a number of (wine-knowledgeable) people preferring to drink their Champagne in stems that are not flutes. I’ll call them white wine glasses. When I try that method, I get mostly a still wine. Aren’t bubbles the point of Champagne? But perhaps I have focused too much on the bubbles in the glass (and drinking it too quickly).

Tell me…lead me…help me out, here. Tonight I will do a side-by-side with the same Champagne in a Zalto Universal and a Riedel flute. If you can direct me to some features I might appreciate, I’m eager to learn.

To me, a Champagne is first a wine and has a nose. You cannot smell the wine in a flute. I have traditionally used Burgundy glasses (Champagne is mostly Pinot and Chardonnay) because they bring out the noses in a Champagne. But, recently I bought these which seem to be a nice compromise between a flute and a Burgundy glass. Lehmann "Jamesse Reference" Grand Blanc Wine Glass-75 CL - SKU 1161843 Also, not too expensive.

How can one swirl and sniff using a flute? I can’t and always use the same stems with Champagne that I otherwise use with still wine.

I use a Chablis glass. I’m willing to sacrifice some of the effervescence for the increased bouquet.

I drink white bubbles from the Zalto universal or white wine glass. Flutes, in my opinion, don’t allow the wine to open up. Just really cramped quarters. I still get plenty of bubbles in the Zalto glasses and can actually appreciate the nose of the wine. Can’t imagine ever drinking from a flute again.

The glass in the link looks like a Riedel Sauternes glass.

I haven’t had a Champagne lost its bubbles in a white wine glass unless it has been a very old Champagne. I think the visual in a flute is appealing, but the aromas actually show in a glass with a wider mouth. Side-by-sides with the staff and guests at my bubbly bar have almost always left people preferring white wine glasses. We had both, but after a year and a half, we’re moving to all white wine glassware as people either prefer them or don’t object to them.

agree with many above. the design of a flute is built to maintain a vigorous bubble, but does not let the aromatics of the wine out. to me, a wine with muted aromatics is boring. i can’t remember the last time i used a flute.

There was a time when the flute was a welcome change from the shallow coupe! Times change.

I am right there with you, Nancy! Now go over and add your thoughts to the Dunn thread.

I think this might be the crux of the issue. If bubbles are the main point, then you’ll get the most with a flute. But I think others are saying that the aroma and flavor of the underlying wine are the point, not the volume of bubbles, and for those, you do better with a “wine glass” of some sort.

If it’s an older wine with weaker bubbles, then a flute is probably the better choice.

Howard et al have it right. If you are going to sacrifice something, I’d rather sacrifice a little effervescence in exchange for aromatics. Flutes just won’t let my schnoz in to sniff

I know I’m being cotrarian but I prefer a flute. I tried the white wine glass and it just doesn’t feel festive to me. If I’m looking for a great white wine experience I’ll pop a burg.

My dinner with you and your wife is one of the things I have in my mind on this subject. I was seated first, knew we were having Champagne, and told them they could remove the white wine glasses from the table. Then you asked to have them back. We did many things to endear ourselves to Corduroy that evening [wow.gif] .

I’m just picky

Any Bordeaux, medium white wine, or similar glass works for me. Hate flutes, worthless IMO.

I’m with Andy.
HRH likes a flute but I always go elsewhere.

+1

Ok…in goes the Champagne to a Universal and a Riedel flute. I will put my attention on what folks have suggested.

I had an '88 Dom Perignon about a year and a half ago out of the Riedel Oregon Pinot Noir glass…it’s a favorite of mine for aged Champagne.