Robert's Block

Man we are fans of this Zin. 2011 has graphite, coffee, celery and still great fruit. While not the 07 Vin Weidlich this is just terrific Zin

Clearly stands among any wine made by Fred, Mike, Morgan or Tegan. That good.
image.jpg

In a Burg Somme stem the wine did take on a more raisined-fruit quality over 2 hours, my wife felt like it fell apart a bit.

Glenn, no familiarity with the wine, or the vineyard. Any idea where it is? Not many “Sonoma Coast” Zinfandel vineyards, AFAIK.

Harrison Grade Road I think, just E of Occidental.

Eric just came out with a new Zin from the “Lemorel” Vineyard (Occidental, Sonoma Coast). Morgan agreed with my guess that this is a new name for Von Weildlich Vineyard (vines planted in 1937 and 1946).

Eric killed it with the last R-C VW Zin I tasted (an '07). Not many historic vineyards in the Sonoma Coast. I just made a purchase!

The R-C newsletter definitely did not make that clear.

I’ll check with Eric to confirm. Can’t imagine that anyone would hide the identity of VW. An incredible vineyard. Ridge made some great Zins here IIRC.

That 2007 VW Zin is WOTY kind of wine.

It absolutely is every bit of that Glenn.

I did hear back from Eric. Apparently, “Lemorel” was the name of the Von Weidlich property when the vineyard and winery were originally founded back in 1892. As mentioned above, the living vines on the property date from 1937 and 1946. Credit Eric with digging into the history of the property and reviving the Lemorel name.

Given the long history and the spectacular 2007, I’m very anxious to taste the 2012.

I need to try this wine.

Just tasted the '12 Radio-Coteau Lemorel Vineyard Zinfandel and it is a beauty.

From a very limited sample size (the '07 and the '12), this old Lemorel/Von Weidlich vineyard is a gem. A rare and brilliant Sonoma Coast historic vineyard.

Kudos to Eric Sussman, who I believe now owns and cares for this vineyard … as well as crafts this amazing wine.

I just got mine yesterday!!!

We went back to this wine tonight, so terrific I am burying the last four bottles. As good as Zin gets!

Tried another bottle last night, five years after the first. No spritz but really sweet fruit, like strange secondary fermentation. AFWE should run from this.

Again, we sort of thought the wine seemed to fall apart after 2-3H open. This bottle might have been flawed, it was almost barrel samplish.