Kosta Browne SV Offering

I finally came up on the list and will be able to buy some single vineyard K-B pinots this week. However, I’m not so sure I really want to purchase. Can anyone tell me what to expect - will I get offered all wines, or just a few? For what it is worth, it was interesting to note that the Wine Spectator scores for the appellation wines equaled or exceeded those for the SV’s (except for Kanzler and Pisoni). Yeah, I know, scores aren’t everything, but it makes you wonder if the SV’s are worth the extra bucks…

Gotta try them and see.

There is some gambling involved in finding out which ones best match your palate.

I suspect you’ll get offered a few of the higher production wines first. Kosta Browne rewards people who purchase consistently.
Don’t hesitate to wishlist any wines that you don’t get allocated. You’ve got nothing to lose.

Disclaimer…
I’ve been buying Kosta Browne pinots since the 2002 vintage.

+1. When I first got an allocation of SVD wines it was small and for only one or two. A combo of wishlisting, expanded production, and so forth over several years my allocation is a lot larger and covers most of the wines with at least 1 or 2 bottles.

My recollection is you may not be able to wishlist for everything - I seem to recall that’s limited too.

My first two times getting the fall SVD allocation, I only got three bottles of Gap’s Crown (plus I think the Chardonnay used to be in the fall, probably not anymore).

Then my third fall offering (after buying the 3 Gap’s Crown each of the prior two falls), I got offered Koplen, Keefer and Kanzler as well.

I’d say this - if you want to become a regular SVD buyer and eventually get the Ks, you probably need to buy what they offer you the next few years. Their allocation model is pretty much “you can buy up to as much as you bought last year,” but that’s a pretty pricey train to stay on. My last two orders from them scaled back some - I guess I’ll see if my new allocations reflect them, and I expect they will.

As far as the wines themselves? The SVDs are not that different from the Sonoma Coast and RRV bottlings. They are maybe just a little “more” in terms of power and intensity, which may be a good thing or not a good thing depending on what you like, but it’s a fairly subtle difference not a big one. I’m tending towards thinking that, given pricing and all, the SC and RRV probably give me about as much fun as the SVDs, and I’ll probably make most of my purchases in the spring going forward.

I am leaning in this direction as well.
I have not found the RRV SVDs to be that distinguishable one from another (particularly Keefer and Koplen). Bottle pricing together with 2 day airfare has pushed the all-in cost close to the limit of my comfort zone for a bottle of wine.

As for the offering, my guess is as a first time buyer, you will see Gap’s Crown, Kanzler, Keefer and perhaps Gary’s and Giusti. Unlikely to be offered Pisoni. But that is all just a guess on my part.

I am also on the same boat first time and look forward to this very much.

I doubt it will ever happen for me, since none of my friends buy KB, but it would be interesting to do a blind tasting of different bottlings from recent vintages. I wonder if I would be able to tell which is which and whether I would prefer one over the other.

I made the SVD list last fall for the first time, having bought appellations since the 07 vintage. I was offered Gaps Crown and Keefer.

Anyway, I’ve only had one SVD, but I thought that was noticeably different in body and concentration compared to the appellations – at least the Russian River and Sonoma Coast (I have yet to crack a SLH).

At least the appellations, while never the picture of restraint, are significantly lighter on their feet then, for instance, Aubert, Kistler, DuMol, R-M, etc. That is no doubt a low bar get under for many here, but it is nonetheless a distinction.

I will be cracking a 2012 SVD in the near future so I have a little extra data before I order the 13s, and I’ll report back.

Didn’t get my email yet, but allocations are live. Prices are up (again) to $90 per bottle from $84 last year.

Yep . . . , which is up from $78 two years ago.

I didn’t see an option for wish-listing. Just me?

email received . . . they’ve moved up the order-by date by 2-3 weeks this year

I have wish list options on all wines offered. It might be an allocation tier thing… just guessing.

Ahh, now I see it. I think maybe the new website doesn’t have the kinks fully worked out. The first time I clicked through I could only access the allocated wines, up to the max for me. Now, having clicked “purchase all my allocation” it brings up a second drop down for wish lists. (Obviously you can’t wish list if you don’t purchase all of a given wine).

Email is out. Allocations are guaranteed until October 6th.

First time buying this SVD and my allocation is only 3 bottles (2 gaps and 1 keefer).

Gap’s is my favorite.

If you wish list a few and they’re granted, your allocation will likely go up next year.

I get offered a lot since I am an original buyer but getting too expensive. $111 shipped in and I still have to travel to pick the wine up. Will just buy a few.

I feel your pain. I remember then the SVDs were less than $50, and the Sonoma Coast was $28.

However, we barrel tasted these last year, and they were stellar.

So, last year, I bought 2 Koplen, 1 Keefer, 2 Kanzler. My allocation this year? 2 Koplen, 1 Keefer, 2 Kanzler. Plus 1 Rosella.

One thing I love about KB is the detailed data sheets on every wine they make. Alcohol, PH, TA, % destemmed, new oak %, length of time in barrel, harvest date, cold soak time, etc. etc.

Interesting to see the 2013 Koplen at a sprightly 14.3% alcohol and 3.57 pH. Cohn Vineyard at 13.4%. Gap’s Crown 14.3%. These are definitely not the early years KB style, though of course they’re not AFWE either.