2001 Pegau Chateauneuf du Pape Reservee

2001 Pegau Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Reservee

I forgot how much I love this stuff. The nose is at once elegant and wild. Dark red fruit. Spicy. The palate still shows some structure on the finish. The balance here of fruit to tannin and freshness are absolutely stunning. Dark fruit with that element of spice from the South of France that just lingers. Meaty. Balanced. Old school. Nothing spoofy about this. Great wine. From Zalto Universal.

2 Likes

An outstanding wine, every time. This remains my most recent favorite vintage for CDP.

I love that vintage. Plus it is our wedding year. I think I only have one bottle left so I need to get some more.

Sounds great. If it ever cools off here I will have to open one.

How many more years would you give this one?

commercial post: I import Pegau to most of the U.S.

This is a favorite vintage of mine as well, 60% structure, 40% opulence. Ready to drink, unless you demand tertiary characteristics. Should hold at this level of development easily for another 3 - 5 years, then slowly go tertiary over the next 10, assuming of course good provenance and storage. For this bottle, and in general for excellent Chateauneuf, 30 years is my time frame; ie, drink by 2030, and that could be pushing it.

Dan Kravitz

This is doubtless a great effort!

However, I always had and still have a slight preference for the 2000, had them both a few months ago, and the 2000 is still more youthful with greater potential, if only 1-2/100 points. The difference to the 2000 DA CAPO is not huge … (and there WAS a reason why they made a DC this year, and not in 2001).
However, who prefers the slightly less opulent, more spicy character of the 2001, no problem, this is arguing on a very high level.

Right on with this note. Had the same wine in the same glass this weekend. Great stuff.

I opened a 2001 Vieux Telegraphe and it wasn’t in a good place right now (it was basically pop and pour). Both monolithic and austere at the same time - a rather joyless combination that too often characterized CdP. It did feel like there was some interesting material hiding beneath the structure, so it may have a future yet.

This is absolutely not my experience with most CdPs, provided it´s a good producer, not one of the few minor vintages and one doesn´t open it at the totally wrong time …
[shrug.gif]

Don, I have a 2004 with your name on it, next time you are out this way. [cheers.gif]

I just picked up a case of 04 at auction (at a wonderful price no less!) and this post is making me very happy that the weather is changing. A bottle of Pegau with some roast lamb sounds like a perfect evening on the first chilly night of fall.

Thanks Peter. It has been too long.

Alan G. Glad you enjoyed that one. See you on Thursday.

I love the 2000 too just as Gerhard does. I have only a couple left. Looks like it is time to pop one .

I wooed my (now) wife using the magical elixir of a mature Pegau and my crazy custardy Mac & Cheese recipe on our second date. I think it was the first meal we cooked together.

The only joyless aspect of CNDP is that she watches the bottles closely and measures out the pours ‘even steven’ !!!

Tough call between VT, VD, and Pegau around our house. All are now at the point that they are ‘treat’ wines, no more midweek glugging for those estates.

Thanks for the note, Don. Couldn’t agree more. My personal preference is for the '01 over the '00, but either is a treat

I guess with a great review like that I better stand one up to see how it is doing!! thanks, Don.

The 04 is delicious.

00 and 01 Pegau are at the same quality level IMO but different in style. Dan had a good description. 01 more structure than opulence and the 00 vis a versa. BTW: As good as the Pegau´s are – my preferred producer is Charvin. In both vintages.

Had one of these a couple of weeks ago and was once again reminded why I love it.

^This. My nod goes to '01 Charvin.