TN: 2005 Chappellet Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2005 Chappellet Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (9/20/2015)
    I received a lot of heat for dissing a 2010 Heitz last week, as it seems to be popular with the QPR Napa crowd, but I really did not find the wine enjoyable. So I decided to give a Napa Cabernet another shot. I picked this up for a wine party about 8 years ago and decided to take something else so this hid in the back of the closet since. Now, at 10 years old, it’s time.

The cork was extremely soft and I wasn’t really paying close attention as I ripped the cork in half. Crazy as it sounds, just pulling half the cork and the wines aromas poured out. After opening I slowoxed for4 hours. The nose is intoxicating black plum and herb. The palate is right in the wheelhouse for a Napa fan with cassis and sandelwood. One of the better cabs I’ve had and a very nice QPR at $40. The others at the table really enjoyed. CT community has the drinking window until 2014, obviously this has many years ahead of it.

Posted from CellarTracker

CT community has the drinking window until 2014, obviously this has many years ahead of it.

Great line.

It’s wine of a type, but a very good version of it. Tried some last week - a bit sweeter and riper than I remember, but still good.

I’ve always liked their wines, but haven’t tried this year.

They seem to have gotten more popular over the years.

I really loved their 2012 Mountain Cuvee, about $30.

I like the Signature and think it’s a very good wine for the dollar. Oldest vintage I’ve had to date is a 2008, though.