TN: 2009 Brovia Barolo Ca'Mia

We popped into our favorite hole-in-the-wall Italian joint last night to celebrate our oldest son’s birthday. As we dashed out the door, I grabbed this as it is the one 2009 Brovia that I have not tried and I was looking for something that would be attractive right out of the bottle (this cru is probably the fleshiest and easiest of Brovia’s line-up). The aroma is full and beautiful with dark fruit, florals and a sweet eucalyptus note that really grabbed me; no coaxing required. The palate is similarly expressive, with red/black fruit, the same forest note, and nicely ripe tannins. This is a good, early drinking Barolo for those who like them full and generous, and would make a good introduction to Barolo for those who have cut their teeth on new world wines and want to experiment with some from the old world. Also, with some age, the fleshy fruit may stretch out and show more delineation and nuance. However, my preference is for cooler wines and more acid, thus with more verve.

Disclaimer: I sell Brovia.

Martin - thanks for the note. I have the 08 and will have to seek out the 9.

These 09’s sound like they will be some nice earlier drinking wines to help the wait on the 8 and 10’s.

Cheers

Fred, this is absolutely correct based upon the 09s that I have tasted. Many will ignore the vintage but there is much (early) pleasure to be found. I haven’t had Cappellano’s normale recently, but it was gorgeous upon release.

Haven’t tried this cru yet, but I did drink two bottles recently of the '09 Garblet Sue that were very nice, and as you say, a good vintage for giving you a genuine taste of Nebbiolo while you wait for your '06’s and '08’s to come around.

I have it on good authority that 2008 may be an earlier drinking vintage than we originally thought.

Martin- would you call the Brovia a good price performer for the vintage ?

Of the four crus in 09, I have enjoyed the Garble Sue most, although I know others who prefer the Rocche (which with its sandy soil may have coped better in the warm vintage).

In general, I believe that Brovia is well priced. The 09 Garblet Sue can probably be found for sub-$60 and the other crus for $70ish.

Just popped one of these last evening and consumed over 2 nights. Enjoyable anise/licorice notes (can’t parse from Eucalyptus without samples in front of me). It’s ripe…somewhat high toned and offers a healthy shot of raisined fruit. Ready to go, no noticeable wood, accessible tannins and some initial tertiary aspects. Not really what I’m looking for in Barolo or Barbaresco. The heat sneaks out above cellar temps (listed 14% abv). Par for the course? Drinkable for sure, but not my cup of Nebbiolo.

RT

Thanks Richard, I think you describe '09 very well. Adding fuel to the fire, Ca Mia tends to be warmer feeling at baseline.

'09 is tough. Few will make old bones and most didn’t make new bones that well to start.

Thanks for sharing,

Thanks for the feedback Todd. Happy to defer to your expertise on the subject. Hope you and yours are safely navigating the AZ surge.

RT