AG's Clos Du Val score 95 points

I really enjoyed the wines from Clos Du Val in the early 90’s when I first caught the bug, then I will be nice they got not so yummy [cry.gif] I went back for kicks and giggles a few years ago hoping it would be different but NOT almost asked for my tasting fee back but just left thinking not again. Well AG’s score of 95+ for the 2013 and a price of 38.00 makes me wonder if I should do a fly by on my next visit.
Anyone been there lately?
Thanks,
Carlos

Carlos, I’ve had a similar experience with them. I tried one again a couple years ago and it was not to my liking. Costco usually carries these, so I’ll be tempted to pick one up to see what’s new, if anything.

Stopped by the winery on a whim several weeks ago and loved their 2011s. The 2012s were pretty good but of course no red 2013s were being poured.

For both the 13 and 14……

"Editors’s Note: In response to reader inquiries, this wine will be tasted again shortly, as there may be a discrepancy between the wine name and the wine that was actually tasted. Last updated: November 3. 2015.

– Antonio Galloni"

Interesting/strange?

KL is picking up the reins and riding hard on this pony.

################

In less than 12 hours this new release '13 Cabernet from Clos du Val will be the #1 selling Cabernet in our inventory.

Robert Parker (last week) on the vintage… “2013 may turn out to be the finest vintage I have experienced in tasting North Coast varietals over the last 37 years. It’s a game-changer in terms of the consistency of quality, the depth of quality, and the across-the-board excellence for so many wines.”

Antonio Galloni on the vintage… “The bottled 2013 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignons are every bit as viscerally thrilling as they have always been in barrel. Inky, vibrant and structured, the wines possess remarkable concentration, with bright acidity and powerful tannins to back it all up. Simply put, the 2013 Napa Cabernets are some of the most profound, riveting, young wines I have tasted anywhere in the world (October 2015)”

With the overwhelming success and hype of 2013 in mind, we’ve set out to find our customers great options from the vintage. It didn’t take long to find a total home run, no-brainer bottling to offer.

2013 Clos du Val Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon ($27.99)

95 points Antonio Galloni: "The 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon is striking. Powerful and dense in the glass, with utterly mesmerizing balance, the 2013 hits all the right spots. Graphite, smoke, grilled herbs, black cherries and incense form a tapestry of aromas and flavors that simply dazzles. The 2013 needs time in bottle for the tannins to soften, but it is a real head-turner. The combination of intense tannin and opulent fruit is classic 2013.

(Galloni on the vintage) …The rising tide has indeed lifted all boats, as can be seen by the number of estates that over achieved and made brilliant wines. When all is said and done, there is little doubt 2013 will go down as one of the all-time great vintages for Napa Valley." (Oct 2015)

Dave Genevro | K&L Staff Member | Review Date: November 02, 2015
This vintage of Clos Du Val is solid and consistent…as always with these guys. Great ripe fruit…cassis and red berries, an approachable tannin structure, a bit of pine, greenness and plenty of length and persistence on the finish. A great Napa Cabernet for under $30!

Greg St. Clair | K&L Staff Member | Review Date: November 02, 2015
Not your classic Napa Cabernet but definitely a classic Clos du Val Cabernet! This is a beautiful expression Bordeaux styled Cabernet from Napa. Long, focused, with bright acidity that leads into an array of earthy flavors. On the palate it’s leather, iron, and slightly gritty however with tannins in check. I really think this wine will blossom in a few years and is wonderful to drink now after a couple hours of decanting with a big steak!

Alex Pross | K&L Staff Member | Review Date: November 02, 2015
Wow! I am literally blown away just by the aromatics coming off the glass and I haven’t even tasted the wine yet. Intense aromas of blackberry liqueur, crème de cassis, black olive and spice notes billow from the glass. The palate has fantastic lift and energy with gorgeous blackberry fruit, spice and mocha notes. A perfectly balanced, supple and seamless Cabernet Sauvignon this wine is one of the greatest deals I have seen this year and is easily one of the best wines I have tasted for under $30 in a long, long time. Load up on this fantastic bargain and enjoy this treasure over the next 5 years.

Trey Beffa | K&L Staff Member | Review Date: November 02, 2015
Clos du Val always makes a more restrained style of Cabernet from Napa Valley. In good vintages with warm conditions, this wine can be one of the best values in Napa! The 2013 shows a wonderful balance between ripe fruit and earthy flavors. It is medium-full bodied in the mouth with a wonderfully velvety texture. The tannins are present but ever-so ripe and intergrated. Great buy for under $30 Napa Cabernet!

Daniel Maas | K&L Staff Member | Review Date: November 01, 2015
Aristotle. Nietzsche. Kant. Renowned philosophers, who all, in their own times and ideologies, fought to unravel life’s enduring mystery. Chief among their questions… What is an amazing Napa Cabernet for under $30? That many of these great men ended their lives without their answer is tragic, considering all they had to do was open a bottle of the 2013 CLOS DU VAL Napa Cabernet! And, of course, drink it! If they had, they’d have encountered an elegant expression of black fruit, toasty oak, and currants that, while solving many of their obsessive mysteries, would simply lead to the even more enduring quandary… HOW CAN WINE BE THIS GOOD?

Olivia Ragni | K&L Staff Member | Review Date: October 31, 2015
The stunning deep purple hue leads to aromas of violet, spice-box, basil and cassis. The palate is plush and integrated with black pepper, blackberries, ripe plums, cigar spice and graphite. Pleasant to drink now, or hold onto for up to 5 years.

Wow?
Can’t wait to find out which wine received 95 points. If it’s not the regular bottling, will K&L issue a correction? Will they change the staff notes?
If it is the regular bottling, I’m going deep!

I had the 2009 Stags Leap awhile back. No bueno.

I’ve been following this for a week over at the Vinous forum. Was ready to pounce, but was waiting for verification on the score. Sounds too good to be true, doesn’t it? Looking at CT notes and other reviews on previous vintages, this score does appear to be an outlier. For now, keeping my powder dry til the dust settles.

I wonder if there were any changes to the winemaker, the vineyard practices, etc. If its estate grown, its probably not a bad piece of property.

I’ve had much better experiences here from 2010 vintage onward. Really had thought they turned into a Costco brand a la Freemark Abbey, but things seems to have improved. Decent Carneros Pinot Noir program as well.

“Clos Du Val” is French for “Sierra Carche.”

If it scored that high, I’m backing up the truck. That means the wine is good. The fact that I don’t particularly like it is irrelevant. Cripes, 95 points is 95 points, I don’t care who the critic is!

From the man who brought you: “There will be no 2011s [from Maybach].” Maybe it is time to beg Tanzer to take back Napa. Steve has an admirable track record of knowing which wines he tastes and which will or will not be made. He might also have looked at his 2012 scores before hyper-hyping 2013 as the vintage of all eternity and recognized that they are more or less the same for the top wines. I mean, Tanzer has more than Galloni’s 5 years of half-assed CA coverage, yes?

And be careful, Greg. Sure, 95 points looks good on a shelf-talker, but I fear that, for Galloni, it has become the medal that he gives to all of the kids for participating in winemaking…

This is setting up to be one of the strangest and funniest wine score moments ever. What do the retailers do once he says “oops, it was the wrong bottle, the actual wine gets 88?”

According to Vinous, Kristi Milton the winemaker, departed before the harvest. I’m assuming it was the '15 harvest.
Tasted Clos du Val for the first time last month at Bistro Jeanty, Yountville. Wine by the glass–unsure of the vintage–and found it quite pleasing. I’d gladly pay $25-30 for a bottle of that.

Nicely played.

Bruce

There was no Maybach in 2011, just a cool mug.
mug.jpg

Bern’s has been pouring the 1987 Clos du Val at the bar, by the glass, for something like $13-$14 bucks. It’s damn good. I cannot recall if it is the basic Cab or some kind of reserve, but regardless, it impressed me. I’ve had it on a couple of different nights.

[rofl.gif]

Greg, you’re so easily influenced. [pillow-fight.gif]