Burgundy Folks 2013 like 1996?

Hi all.
I am just dipping my toe into the 2013s.
Red fruit.
Very beautiful detail but the acid is higher than I expected.
Is this a lot like 1996?
Many thanks.

Red wines, I’m presuming?

I recently dipped into my 2013 Dujac stash. Found a little bit of the beet/geosmin that you get from 2006 (this was on the Clos St Denis). I never tasted the 96s on release, but I imagine 13 is a little bit more expansive with the fruit.

The limited number of 1996s I had close to release were pretty dense and dark at the time. They didn’t thin out and become acid freaks until much later.

Thanks!
Don

Don, the acid profile on the '13s is what’s prominent eg tasting the '14s and '13s side by side at Rousseau. Many '13s I’ve tried have now started to shut down, often on their acids …

I’ve looked at old notes of vineyard visits. Both JM Fourrier and Cyprian Arlaud (marginally) prefer their '13s to their '12s. Philippe Brun at Bruno Clair said that he liked his '13s, comparing them with '11s, having good fruit. To be drunk earlier, perhaps a restaurant wine vintage …

I did not try '96s early but I did find a note from Ghislaine Barthod comparing her '96s and '13s. She said that the '96s had more acid but more flesh than the '13s.

She also compared her '08s to her '13s, saying that the acids were more aggressive in '13 than in '08. Lucien Boillot said that the acidity 'was more positive in ‘08’.

That’s all if my notes are correct. Personally I quite like the vintage, unlike many here … but they are often now closing …

Cheers, Howard

Thanks Howard.

No, IMHO not too similar to 1996, more to 1998 - or something between 1998 and 2001.
The best wines are marvallous, but a lot of wines are simply lacking sweetness and intensity of fruit, but show too much (and shrill) acidity instead compared to the fruit - at least to be a fine vintage.

Just yesterday I tasted two fine 1998s - and the texture and structure was not too far away …

I went to a tasting today of 13’s. A very nice vintage with sweet accessible red fruit. Lower appellations were drinking very well. Not much high end stuff but if this is representative then I believe it’s very good. Certainly better than 11.

I had the 2013 Hudelot Noellat Chambolle Villages today. It’s darker and more tannic that the '11 which isn’t surprising, but I think more than the '10 as well (didn’t try the '12). It was drinking well now but I wouldn’t be surprised if it shuts down. Nice wine and still $50-ish.

I had the same thought recently, but only time will tell. Seems to be in the class of '08 primarily, where top cru’s and addresses seemed to put out good reds, and a better vintage for whites.

Have heard good things about Hudelot Noellat, Bertheau, Dujac, and Mugneret Gibourg.

It is a classic vintage in both colours and I like the wines very much. The reds are quite fruity and tend to have a nice touch of floral spice to them. I’m not sure they have the depth of 1996 or the razor sharp acidity.

Fully agree with Jeremy.

It’s a classic vintage but quality varies greatly depending on the producer. I did not find nearly the same acidity in 2013 than in 1996 and wines don’t have the same intensity nor depth. However, I really liked this vintage indeed. “Shiny” fruit with a nice underlying mineral structure. Very terroir driven vintage.
On barrel, I was most impressed with Dujac, Roumier and DRC. Mugneret-Gibourg did well, especially with the Grand Cru. Maxime Cheurlin from Georges Noellat was very good too but I think his wines were better in 2012 (which is not necessarily the case, I think, for Roumier or Dujac).
For whites, only tasted at Roulot, Buisson-Charles and Jacques Carillon. All very good. Roulot was simply brilliant - once again.

I appreciate everyone’s input here. Many thanks!

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I have always wondered how acids either integrate or become shrill with time in red Burgs, and how that can be foretold? And I am also questioning Lucien’s statement above, about the 2008 acidity “being more positive”, because so far, most 08’s are showing crunchy red fruits and very, very bright acidities.

I attended a 2013 tasting last sunday. Most of the wines were low level village and a few premier cru/grand cru. Almost all wines had hard drying tannins and were difficult to taste. At least for me. I don’t have a lot of experience going to these tastings though. As others have said, red fruited wines. Bright but also drying.

Arlot Clos Forets stood out as it was more soft and seemed more balanced. Also Trapet Latricieres was good.

Have a nice weekend :slight_smile:

I had another excellent 2008 last night, Louis Boillot Pommard 1er Fremieres. The producers I buy from, Mugneret-Gibourg, Barthod, Louis Boillot, some Chevillon, all did really well in 2008, IMO.