TN: 2015 Ocean Spray Cran-Cherry (no sugar added)

Okay, not really a TN as you already know… but you clicked on it if you’re reading this. The reason for the title is that’s the example my wife gave me as my guide to find her a red wine that she’ll like. I’ve tasted the same basic fruit in some Pinot Noirs, but they’re always much drier and spicy than my wife would prefer. She does enjoy 1995 Ponsot Chapelle-Chambertin since it’s nicely resolved with light spice and wonderful tart red fruit, but spending over $200 a bottle is a little extreme for a daily drinker. There’s also a finite amount, and we want something we can buy by the case or more.

Can anyone help me here? You know what they say - happy wife, happy life! [cheers.gif]

2013 Cameron Ribbon Ridge Pinot

I always find that in the Sojourn Rogers Creek Pinot’s

Thanks - I’ll add it to the list.

Oooooo, may be a no go - just popped a 2009 Ridgetop and she hated the strong herbal / bay leaf / sage character. If that could be removed, she’d probably love it, but the green overpowered the fruit. The TN is in the “Pick a buddy” thread for TNs:

Is the Rogers Creek less herbal?

2011 Matello Pinot Noir Lazarus - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (10/31/2015)
Medium dark garnet with red berry nose. Open over night, tart red berry, light fruit, medium body with some chewy tannins. Ripe strawberries dominate with some red raspberries along for additional flavor and acid, a nice earthy mineral element adds complexity. Drinking nicely in an acid forward style keeping the fruit lively, and should appeal to those that like some fruit, treads a middle ground between the AFWE and fruit forward style as long as you like a strong acid component, lovely entry level Pinot. (91 pts.)@ $20
2010 Cabot Vineyards Pinot Noir Anderson Valley - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (11/4/2015)
Dark garnet with marionberry nose. Lightly tart red berries, raspberry, red currants and cranberry. Medium fruit and body but the acid lightens the fruit and give a lively, fresh squeezed quality. Drinking very well as a young fruit driven strawberry smoothie. (91 pts.)@ $35

If I’m interpreting this correctly you’re looking for a Pinot that is a little more fruit-forward and less earthy/woodsy than a Burgundy might be, but not heavy or a fruit bomb?

I like all the Pinots from Navarro. You gain finesse and complexity going up the line without gaining any heaviness. They are clearly CA Pinots but made in a style that Burgundy lovers can really like (at least this one). There is a basic Pinot, a Cuvée a L’Ancienne, and a Deep End Blend (the latter hard to get except futures). You need to buy direct.

The two lower end Pinots from Au Bon Climat could work too. There’s a Santa Barbara and La Bauge Au Dessus. In lighter vintages Bauge is hard for me to tell from Burgundy. In riper years it’s more fruity and less earthy. The Santa Barbara is easygoing with nice fruit, not too serious.

Another good one to try would be Domaine Eden. Maybe any of Copain’s non-SVD wines too.

Navarro l’Ancienne is one that definitely invokes a cranberry / Thanksgiving feeling for me, though it’s been a number of years. Domaine Eden is another one that might work that way.

The Ferrando Canavese Rosso might be a good place to look, Dennis. Very bright, sharp red fruit.

Sounds like a job for Dolcetto.

Thanks for the tips so far. I should also say that she’s not a fan of highly acidic reds.

Some fun, eh?

I was leaning towards Chorey-les-Beaune but now that’s out. Have you ever tried Siduri? Maybe their OR/Chehalem or Sonoma Coast. Speaking of OR, give an Ayres WV a shot. Sonoma Coast entry Pinots generally strike me as redder fruited along with some citrus. Base level NZ PNs can fit the bill, although more red briary fruited (currants, red raspberries). Trial and error.

RT

Big time! By the time this search is over, enough money will be invested that I could have just bought several bottles of Ponsot. [rofl.gif]

Eep. I was thinking some off-the-beaten-path Nebbiolos would fit the bill. Hmm.

In general, cranberry is a characteristic of less ripe fruit, which will tend to be more acidic.

2013 Au Bon Climat Santa Barbara pinot noir. Light and tart. $17-$21.

Or a good Montepulciano d’Abruzzo -

Both are softer, fruit forward, low acid offerings that are pretty hard not to like -

I was at the local co-op grocery yesterday and saw Pomegranate wine - perhaps that will work?

It might! I’m thinking of just putting a little vodka in some Ocean Spray. [cheers.gif]

Being serious here, have you tried Meomi? She wants something sweet and low acid. It’s a very popular wine.

Michael

Interesting stats on their Pinot Noir from their website:

Aging 100% French oak barrels, 60% new
alcohol 13.7%
total acidity 5.5 g/L
residual sugar 6 g/L
pH 3.85

Might have to grab a bottle. Thanks Michael!

Let me know if you do. Siduri is a good suggestion, but my guess is it’s the sugar she’s after. (The juice in the subject line has more sugar than Coke, so focusing on the cranberry might be missing the point a bit.)

Michael