Give CO wine a taste...

As some of you know, I work for the Colorado Wine Industry Development Board and we’re sending samples of our Governor’s Cup winning wines to a few media to participate in #UncorkColorado Virtual Wine Tasting via Twitter, beginning next week. I’d like to invite this crazy community to join in, too. [drinkers.gif] We have planned three virtual tasting events for Nov, Dec and Jan. Each virtual tasting will stream live with winemakers/winery representatives and utilize Twitter for communication. I am not expecting anyone to participate via Twitter, but you may if you like.

What I am proposing is sending three of you a few bottles of CO wine so you may share your thoughts (good or bad) here with the community. Each tasting will feature 4-6 wines. grouphug

The Uncork Colorado Tasting Series dates, times, and featured wines are as follows:

Thursday, November 19, 2015 | 6:00 p.m. MST - 7:00 p.m. MST
Featuring Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Petit Verdot

Thursday, December 10, 2015 | 6:00 p.m. MST - 7:00 p.m. MST
Featuring Viognier and Syrah

Thursday, January 21, 2016 | 6:00 p.m. MST - 7:00 p.m. MST
Featuring Cider(hopped), Peach Wine, Mead(hopped) and Dessert wines

If you would like to taste a few CO wines, I am offering the first three people interested to post which group of wines they’d like to try. Only one person is getting the Bordeaux box, one person the Rhone box and one person the ‘niche’ box. TomHill is banned from participating because he is old and full of it. [snort.gif] Just kidding, actually he is banned because he was a judge at the competition and tasted all of these already and posted on his time here as a judge… I’ll PM the three lucky people to get shipping info. [cheers.gif] Also, cannot ship outside of lower 48…

I’d love to try the first or second flights! (First would be most exciting, but I’d be willing to try #2, as well.)

We’d throw a party.

Cool idea, Kyle. I won’t take my banishment as personal.

I’m here to tell you all that the 3’rd box is not to be sniveled at. There are some very interesting wines/beverages in that set. Based on what I tasted, anyway.

Tom

I’d take the Rhone box (and do my best to join the virtual).

Cool idea, Kyle. I won’t take my banishment as personal.

I’m here to tell you all that the 3’rd box is not to be sniveled at. There are some very interesting wines/beverages in that set. Based on what I tasted, anyway.

Tom[/quote]

Well, that last one is the only one still up for grabs…

I’d take any. I am CO wine fan anyway.

Hello Kyle,

I may be a bit late, but how would this work, exactly? Perhaps you can enlighten me and any curious viewers.

I’d take either of the first two, but being a Front Ranger I’m sure the effort would be wasted as I am already a convert (especially Colterris and Canyon Wind). I’m looking forward to the results of virtual tasting.

We included a few CO wines in our tasting group a few years ago. Lots of promise. Would love to try more. I’ve been very impressed by the wines from MI and even Ohio as well. It’s all to the good IMO, but I kind of wish people would start to get away from more “Bordeaux” blends.

Bill, the idea for WB is just to give a few board members a chance to taste something different and report back to the board. It be great if they invite friends/berserkers over to taste, too. I’m not suggesting WBers follow on Twitter, but feel free to if you desire.

The larger idea is to get a few local media and bloggers across the country, that regularly use Twitter, to all gather at the same time to taste the wines and discuss them with the winemakers, and perhaps write about them. A few other regions do this, but this is the first attempt by CO. Does that help clear that up?

Didn’t ban Coloradans, just TomHill!

Happy to hear! Both are making good wine. Have you been up to Creekside Cellars in Evergreen? Anybody that heads up there should tell Bill, Anita, or Michelle I sent you!

Yes, I keep suggesting wineries try something different. Anything from Aglianico to Zweigelt! I had a killer Counoise at Creekside a few weeks ago. More need to follow suit…

Could anyone in Colorado make an Aglianico?

Well, we don’t know because none is planted. Maybe Aglianico isn’t the best example as it buds early and ripens late, but my point is more diversity beyond Bordeaux varieties would be welcomed.

Yup…preachin’ to the choir here, Kyle. At the levels of production of most CO wineries, I think it would be far easier marketing
some of these other varieties than just anuther Cab or Merlot. Can we say Teroldego or Schioppettino???
Tom

Unfortunately, too many wineries think they can only sell Cab, Chard, and Merlot.

What are some recommended CO producers? I travel there at least once or twice a year, but have only tried wines from The Winery at Holy Cross Abbey in Cañon City after we toured the old abbey. That was at least 5 years ago and I don’t recall my impressions of the wines.

My impression of the wines was not very favorable. Not bad…just not very interesting. Plus loads of gee-gaws for sale at the tasting room.
Tom

Depends what style you like.