WEEK 3 - Virtual Tasting for Charity -Cabernet Sauvignon from Around the World - SC Flood Relief

Theme: Cabernet Sauvignon from Around the World
Host: Scott Brunson
Matching donors: Just PM or post if you’d like to match [cheers.gif]
Date: December 9th - 16th
Format: Drink a Cabernet Sauvignon from anywhere in the world and post a TN back here to this thread. Scott will donate $5 per Tasting Note.

About the Charity: South Carolina Flood Relief

On October 5th 2015 FEMA declared a emergency due the extensive flooding around numerous counties in South Carolina effecting 100,000’s of people.

Scott -

Can I assume Bordeaux qualifies so long as the predominant grape is Cabernet? I have a sweet '82 on tap for Friday.

yep
I’ll pop in here as often as possible but in a house with two choral directors, our time is not our own for the next week or so. I will find time to open a Cab or three and post some notes.
Now off to school concert # 2 for the week…

I bombed out on the QPR challenge, but will resolve to contribute this week.

Cheers,
fred

This is one that our household can EASILY participate in, as Jen drinks only three types of wine - Champagne, Chardonnay from CA, and Cabernet Sauvignon.

2011 Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon Estate - so dark purple, it was almost black. One of the darkest cabs I’ve seen in quite a while, and that includes Roy Piper’s barrel sample posts on Facebook! Still so very young, but that’s how Jen likes it (other than old-ass me, of course). Beautiful silky texture, primary fruit qualities, still a bit of vanilla on the flavor profile, from it not being old enough to integrate, I imagine. The finish is not as long as I’d expect from Ridge, but the tannins are fine and dusty, and there’s good acidity. Overall, a good surprise for the ‘weak’ vintage, which I still feel is not that weak for many producers.

2013 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon- this usually come as cheap filler when they send the Oakville and Reserve Cabernets. However, I am pleasantly surprised by this wine and really excited about its prospects. They really hit it out of the ballpark with this. You might expect this to be an overly oaked jammy mess or weak cab, but it is not. The Cab this year is more BDX style. Overall is a bit hot at 15% alcohol, which comes through in the nose and masks some underlying aromas of cassis, light blackberry and maybe some lead pencil. Mouthfeel is medium, but it coats your mouth and has some very nice lenght to it (you can use your tongue to lick your inner cheek and teeth to get some more flavors). The tannins are bit high towards the back of the palate and hang in there a bit. The oak comes through a very slight bit as well on the finish, which I actually liked as it mellowed those tannins. Acidity is well integrated. There are some black tea flavors mid palate that remind me of some Merlot based BMX (strange, but really tasty. Cassis and baking spices throughout with underlying berries. Again, this is not a big fruit bomb from NAPA and is more reminiscent of a really nice BMX, albeit more powerful and just a bit riper. I think this will age extraordinarily well. An unexpected find and I will need more bottles. Beware that the alcohol levels do show up on the finish right now.

1999 Jones Family Vineyards Estate Cabernet Sauvignon

Dark red color, some transparency. Ripe aromas of cinnamon, cocoa, currant, and cherry liqueur. Palate is structurally resolved with a cherry cough drop and currant core. This leads to a hot, slightly tannic long finish. Not gloppy, but a monster with an “all stops out” style of winemaking. I find no place, uniqueness, or subtlety here, but it is enjoyable in its genre. A nice bottle of red wine. Drink or hold.

Cheers,
fred

2004 Meerlust Cabernet Sauvignon

Brick red, has those brownish edges. Started off with a ton of chalk, as it warmed up more meat and leather, nice and savory. As it ended there was a little green bell peppers. Very savory palate, similar to dried meat. Notes of coriander, black pepper and dried herbs. Smooth tannins (6/10) with a little bite at the end. Balanced with a moderate body. Dry finish that lingers for quite a bit. Solid acidity in the finish as well. Very well balanced and structured. Delicious Cabernet from South Africa, and as the fact sheet says, this has held up perfectly well. Loving the meat, pepper and spices in these wines. If you haven’t tried a wine from Meerlust we highly recommend it, especially the Rubicon! Now till 2018. 91 Points

• 2000 Arrowood Cabernet Sauvignon Réserve Spéciale - USA, California, Sonoma County (12/9/2015)
    Pours the color of fresh blackberry juice with no visible signs of age. Nose of purple berries, tobacco, vanilla and a distinct nuttiness. Flavors of cassis, red currant, vanilla, and tobacco.

Medium bodied with a silky texture. The tannins are noticeable and just a touch prickly, but fairly well integrated and though there’s a good amount of fruit, there’s enough acidity to keep the wine from feeling ponderous and heavy. Finishes medium and at 13.8% abv, no hint of alcohol. Drinks like a wine half its age – I disagree with those who think the wine is tired. If this bottle is representative, it could last another decade. Quite enjoyable and a crazy good buy for $20. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

We actually have the night off tomorrow so I’ll head to the butcher for some big ol’ steaks and dig out a nice bottle to match.

Might I suggest some Trump with your rump?
image.jpeg

1996 Château de Pez St.-Estèphe - A Bordeaux for fans of Chinon, with black currant, a little dust, and a hint of bell pepper, it still has plenty of tannin with enough fruit that it should have years of decent drinking left in it. (88 points)

Here you go Scott - not as nice a wine as I could have picked but it helps me cull some low hanging fruit from my cellar…thanks for your charity work!!

• 2009 Chappellet Cabernet Sauvignon Clone 7 - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena (12/11/2015)
    750ml; PnP; dark opaque purple color; slightly tight aromas of black and blue fruits, with very slight salty herb de provence spice; moderate light flavors of black/blue and dark red fruits, slight saltiness; good acidity keeps the mouth watering between sips; mouth filling fine tannins are small and unobtrusive; overall the wine seems a bit thin, slightly watery, and closed down (or in decline). (88 pts.)

Coming in at 60% Cabernet . . .

Aging glacially, this is a killer wine that, if you bought on release, rewards in spades. The wonderful 89 and 90 showed so much better, early, while this one was rather austere in its youth. Hence, I didn’t buy any. This past year Craig G. raved that it came out of its slumber, so when Chambers had these at $55 or $60 (can’t remember), I pounced. As you can see in part from the color, this wine is showing no visible signs of age, no bricking at all, still quite opaque. Powerful nose of dark cassis, light cedar, leather. Rich dark fruits on the palate, very full-bodied, grainy texture, considerable tannic force. The quality and depth of the fruit completely balances the tannins and I think this wine will still improve as tannins resolve a bit further. Surprisingly not as a funky as many other Cordier wines, including other Meyneys, from the 1980s. Consumed over a 2.5 hour dinner, only barely budged all night.

Simply outstanding. An ugly duckling turned pretty.

(93 pts.)

I popped a '10 Myriad Three Twins cab last night at Jocko’s Steakhouse near Santa Maria CA. I don’t have the notes handy, but this was very tasty, with a great nose. Full body, and a hint of tannins that made this WOTN. Drink or hold. This was my last bottle.

Meyney in the bank!

This is always a good producer in my book… Their Cabs and Chardonnay’s are both excellent wines and decent bargains considering what is in the bottle. This was popped and poured with some grilled lamb loin chops, grilled sweet onion, cous cous with golden raisins, and a roasted beet and arugula salad made with a Moody Blue home made dressing.

Obviously still young but not at all tannic. But good acidic bite that really works with the lamb. Dark red fruit, hints of tomato leaf, a hint of cedar, and a whiff of tobacco. Opening up nicely as the meal progresses. Delicious.

Good luck with the cause. Cheers, Bob

• 2005 Nickel & Nickel Cabernet Sauvignon Tench - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (12/13/2015)
    Pop and pour. Interesting wine. Still not fully mature. Beginning to take on come leathery components of age and a bit of dark cherry fruit. Other than that, it’s hard to do a complex analysis of a wine at 11:30 in the morning while preparing and serving an epic tailgate party in the parking lot. A good, solid California Cabernet. well made but not outstanding. (89 pts.)

• 2012 Haber Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Diamond Mountain - USA, California, Napa Valley, Diamond Mountain (12/13/2015)
    Popped and poured. This is extreme infanticide, but very education and presages a possible star in the making. There is way too much oak, but a lot of interesting stuff behind it.There’s fruit and spice and I think some depth and meatyness, but then again, there’s that oak. Put it to sleep for 5 years and see what awakens. Maybe 10. (90 pts.)

• 2010 Black Stallion Estate Winery Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/13/2015)
    This is one of the cab staples in the warden’s cellar. Extremely dark color. Ripe plum nose. Black currant and dark plum flavor, a little too ripe for me. Tannins are very soft but present, it’ll last a few more years. Solid Napa cab for under $20.