Two Magnum Evening

Went out with Mel & my in-laws for celebration of his 82nd, the upcoming Christmas holiday and my recertification in surgery - completed via testing earlier this month. We went to our local “big-time” restaurant, Spinners, which we have been taking more of a liking to these past few months. No corkage charge so I brought a magnum of 2006 Noceto Marmellata, which could not have shown any better. Just lovely and balanced domestic Sangiovese, cuttings from Biondi Santi Brunello clones. Ten years rest did this wine just right. In-laws loved this, even M-i-L had a full glass. While removing this large bottle a regular bottle came loose and fell almost to the floor, where it was saved by a 2012 Magnum of Scholium Project Naucratis. Sadly this SP magnum split open instantly to 100% loss. Ouch indeed! Naucratis’ sacrifice did save a bottle of Barolo we will have to enjoy next holiday season with the 2007 Naucratis that I wanted to get out a decade as an experiment. The bottles are linked in my mind after last night’s tragic accident. Something to look forward to next holiday season, may there be crab and some mushroom pasta.

M-i-L managed to order the most expensive entrée in our county: the lobster tail & filet at $84. To provide context the next most expensive entrée available locally would be $35 lambchops, which can be found at two different establishments. WTG Renee, it is only money!

But did she eat it all?

Sorry about the breakage.

And congrats on the recertification! I just completed mine this year as well. Another ten years…

Not even close to finishing either the lobster tail or filet. Our suspicion is she wants to show off the leftovers today at lunch in her nursing home.

You take the general surgery exam? What a strange test this time around.

That’s funny.

No sir, ophthalmology. We leave the real medicine to you big boys.

Didn’t feel so big after that test! I hear ophthalmology may shitcan their recertification exam?

Congrats Glenn! Let’s make a point of breaking bread in '16.

Who knows? I just know I’m done for a while.

Portland maybe?

Glenn and Jeremy,

My wife has been boarded so long she is not required to be re-certified though all the doctors working under her - seven - in the department have to. Age has some advantages.

Yeah, prior to the early 1990’s the certificates didn’t have expiration dates.

Nobody is emeritus in General Surgery, regardless of age or number of years board-certified. Everybody tests.

have to recert in urology by 2018–will be my third and final recert–hate the bullshit process that proves nothing.

Good lick, I knew you’d pass your test. Sorry about the mag, I’d have been cleaning up wine and tears.

For a moment I thought the destroyed magnum was SP Glos, and I was squirting a few tears!

Yeah, my feelings as well. In 2025 I’ll be expected to do this again and I will have been continuously board-certified 31 consecutive years at that point. I hope I can quit at that time and avoid this process.

Did my second recert last year…I initially dreaded it, but have to say I ultimately “enjoyed” it…kind of like enjoying running a marathon!

I’m due to recent in Emergency Medicine then too… 3rd time…

I really think that some of the hoops they are having us jump through are ridiculous…

Glenn - sounds like a nice wine - sorry about Scholium…

FWIW I found out the “lifetime” certification in General Surgery ended in the 80s. I believe you had to have passed the oral exam by 1976 to have qualified to take that last “lifetime” recertification exam.

It is a racket, I’m out around $3K for the test I just passed.

Plus $60-something for the Naucratis Mag!

I dropped out of the MOC for Surgery.
Still doing the racket for Thoracic Surgery.
The MOC is a total scam and completely unnecessary.

Doc, how’d you actually break it anyway? Was it in racking with the neck sticking out and the bottle hit it? Or fell out of a bulk bin or something?
I ask because the racks I’m making, I have ten horizontal display spots for mags, and another 16 slots in double deep racking, depending on what you say I’ll put the pricey ones in the most safe.