TN: 2005 Lewelling Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena)

• 2005 Lewelling Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena (10/26/2009)
    This is a spectacularly made wine - impeccably balanced at this relatively young stage. The nose shows just a hint of oak, barely perceptible, and shines with dark and red fruits and a beautiful violet floral component - very lush, yet elegant, and certainly quite inviting. On the palate, this wine shows good weight - not thick, just nicely weighted, and the tannins are dusty, with a slight edge to them, but they also bring some fruit along with. Great fruit, the tiniest hint of oak - perfectly in balance - and an enjoyable spice that compliments the florals also showing on the nose. If the Lewelling Estate is this good, I can only imagine how beautiful the Wight is/will be.

This is a great example of why many well made wines can be incredibly enjoyable while young. It is a different experience, to be sure, but no less enjoyable. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Both this and big brother are REALLY well made wines. YIYO, the regular bottling is a steal, while the Wight can beat hold its own against anything that Napa produces.

I want to try these wines!

They are available to me in MD, I just keep forgetting to order some for myself

I bought these (when I got on the list) based SOLELY on the recommendations from wine forums, back in the day when I was allowed on eBob.

I have always purchased my full allocation, but until this bottle, had never tried any. I’m sure glad I did, and I can’t wait for the '07 allocation to come out.

The way you describe it, I would have guessed a higher score. What’s it missing?

Cute.

Had a bottle of the 2005 last week. First bottle after a couple weeks of the flu. Absolutely delicious, and drinking perfectly right now. Haven’t had as much luck drinking the regular bottling early, but I may just have to polish off my remaining two bottles because it was so nice.

Absolutely - I look forward to polishing off the only remaining bottle I have because it seems in such a great space now. I think it was Jack Bulkin who first recommended to start drinking the '05 Estate, and he was spot ON.

Todd… what’s the oldest vintage of Lewelling that you have? Just curious.

This very one.

Well it’s better then:

“97 points, no note taken”

I’m trying to be a bit more conservative with my numbering. The finish was a bit short, and the tiny bit of oak is still oak, and being oak-averse, it would affect my score. Last year, the way I numbered my wines, I’m sure this would be 96 or 97

Thanks Todd. I picked up some heat when I tried it sometime after I got my order last year. I like these with several years of age but wanted to try one.

We did a visit with Haley a few weeks ago. Both 06’s were terrific and I preferred the 06 regular based on that tasting to my experience with the 05 earlier in the year. Sounds like the 05 is integrating nicely.

If anyone wants the regualr 06 Raeders in NY has the lowest price I’ve seen at retail.

http://www.raederswine.com/sku055517.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow, that’s a fantastic price!!! I might have to pick up some, but I don’t want to open up an '06 just yet! [pwn.gif]

Well, I STILL post here and it’s a great wine. Nice note Capitan.

great note todd. I loved this when I had a chance to try it last fall, and liked it more then the Wight Cab of theirs as this one didn’t have as much obvious oak. I’ve generally found that Lewelling Cab is easily one of the best values for cali cabs

It could easily be the ONLY cab I have in my cellar, I imagine.

Yea, why is that? You told us you weren’t going to post here anymore.

no one would fault your for that my good man

Love these guys.

NExt offer out soon, I think.