TN: 1985 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne

• 1985 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru (1/20/2016)
    I’ve been fortunate enough to have had this wine 5-6 times over the years and each time it has always been splendid but never have I had a better bottle than tonight’s. Admittedly it was a recent acquisition direct from the Domaine. It had such an engaging nose with a saline base upon which there were glimpses of peach, lemon and guava. There was a suggestion of white mushroom and a whiff of toast. In the mouth it was sublime. It had the strict line of Corton, with plenty of grapefruit action. There was the glycerol you get with great white Burgundy and layers of flavour titillated the palate. It is a perfect wine in every way with remarkable poise and persistence.

Posted from CellarTracker

When this wine comes in a well stored bottle, this is one of the highlight wines in my short lifetime of enjoying Burgundy. This is absolutely stunning. What a great note. Wonderful.

You are killing us. Nice note - it makes me want to open a bottle. And Don, neither of us can call our lifetime’s short!

That is the first wine that introduced me to the glories of white Burgundy, although it was very youthful back then. Thanks for the memory prompt.

Jeremy, nice note! Jeremy/Don/Brad - the only Bonneau I’ve bought was the 01 which unfortunately was badly premoxed. Any recommendations for a classic vintage that’s drinking now?

Had the 85 and 86 together a year or so ago. Both were great. Harder and harder to find unforutnaltely.

All I have is 89 and 92 now.

Albert. I’m no expert on this wine, but 92 has been great, 05 is a newer but good vintage, and the 2010 is reputed to be good (I own it but haven’t tried it yet).

Fantastic tasting note mate, one of the best I have read in along time.

Can only say it once again, - it’s a shame they don’t make em like they used to…

love that 85/86 BdM duo. They have been great for 20 years. Great note.

Exhibit 1 for why numerical ratings are useless… Here, you can call a wine “perfect” and be accurate both objectively and subjectively. Nice! Sounds wonderful – love the house when it’s singing and unflawed.

Thanks Guys.

Albert, If you can find the '85 or '86 grab them. Both very different but both brilliant. The '86 has a touch of botrytis. The '88 is also majestic and I’ve had several good bottles of '82. I had a '92 with fellow board member Anthony Hall recently that was absolutely singing.

Best Regards
Jeremy

Ah, that’s what it is! I’ve had it twice and both times I thought it might be slightly oxidized but with air it picks up acidity and really shines.

Thanks again for the wonderful note.

Thanks guys - will let you know if I find any!

Great note, been a long time since I’ve had an '80s BdM. Gonna start looking around!