TN: 2013 Pierre Gonon St. Joseph (France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph)

2013 Pierre Gonon St. Joseph - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph (1/21/2016)
Dark, almost opaque garnet/violet, medium full bodied, beautiful dark raspberry palate, with strong notes of dried herbs, pepper, hints of anise, excellent acidity, nicely structured but drinkable now as a youngster. Gorgeous, complex wine. Not sure if this will go 20 years, I’d be tempted to drink it any time over the next decade. (93 pts.)

Great note. Thanks for sharing.

I bought a case in November and have burned through three with a fourth likely to go this evening. It is a monumental vintage for the Gonons. I’ve loved the precision, elegance and subtilité of this vintage. Less baby fat than 09/10, much more profound than 11.

You’re note perfectly captures this wine. Bravo!

Thanks for the notes Alan and Paul. I added 2 more to my existing pair.

Paul, thanks. There was something familiar that I couldn’t quite peg initially, but as I continued to sip the wine tonight it finally struck me that there is also a definite orange citrus note buried in there as well. I made the “mistake” of buying some of this, then later buying more, forgetting my earlier purchase. No regrets now.

Funny, when I had this last year I thought that it might be a vintage to leave alone in the cellar for 3-5 years. Reading your note I’m tempted to go back and check another one out.

1 Like

It’s a vintage of impeccable balance. You can confidently open one now, enjoy the vibrant and youthfully fruited side of the wine. You can confidently wait for “15 years” and enjoy the tertiary side of the wine. It isn’t going to lose it’s balance.

And to those who have added more to their cellar, either accidentally or purposefully, I believe you have played that one well. I hesitated on the case but thought, “what the hell, it’s always a very enjoyable wine”. Boy am I glad I did, I’ve tucked my remaining 8 deep in my cellar.

I’m pretty tolerant of youthful wines. This one has plenty of structure (though not overpowering), but so much interesting fruit that the structure is pretty well integrated. I wouldn’t hesitate to open one now to enjoy it’s youthful generosity, and as Paul says, it should develop nicely over time. In my original comments I only meant that I’m not sure it will be one of the longer lived Rhones, but certainly has good potential for the medium term of around a decade or so.

The great debate on Gonon is always about longevity given how beautiful they are often on release, but can vary on degree of austerity upon release. I haven’t opened any of my 13s, but thanks for sharing a great note.

Faryan

I pulled out a bottle of this the other day…

• 2013 Pierre Gonon St. Joseph - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph (4/16/2019)
    This was showing so very different from the last bottle I had. Scents of smoked meats, olive brine, provincial herbs, and dark fruits. The palate was lean yet with a depth and intensity that could rival any of the past bottles I’ve had from this producer. This really has structure and balance that should lead to a long life with good storage. Medium bodied, medium + tannin, and high acid, with a long finish. Outstanding!!!

Posted from CellarTracker

A little over a year since my last bottle of this. It’s in a pretty good spot, but man the prices got silly on this.

• 2013 Pierre Gonon St. Joseph - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph (5/9/2020)
    Much like the last bottle of this I opened about a year ago, this has hardly budged and is quite similar to the last experience. Scents of smoked meats, olive tapenade, provincial herbs, and smoke. The palate is lean yet with a level of intensity I often find with this producer. These are certainly becoming more enjoyable with the additional time sideways. Light-medium bodied, med+ tannin, med fruit, med acidity, and a moderate length finish. This is worth every penny of the $38 I paid for this wine. I would not want to pay the $100+ this wine sells for today.

Posted from CellarTracker

But are you a seller?

Can’t find the Gonon but get some JL Chave every year (normal and Clos Florentin). How would you compare with the Gonon?

Gonon makes excellent white wines too . They are very difficult to find here …

No, but I’d probably trade my last bottle if it were easy here in Maine to do so.

Before I send pm offers, would you be willing to trade with somebody in NY?

Sure,

I’m in Upstate New York every other year. If you want to meet me somewhere in person then Id be on board for that. I’m not so inclined to do this via mail, but I’m open to hearing or seeing what wines you may have that I’m interested in. Particularly other wines made with Syrah.

I’m in Manhattan, NYC.

What year would you be in Upstate NY in case I can shuffle my calendar to try and make my way all the way there for that bottle?

2021, and maybe we could meet half-way. I’m usually up around Buffalo. To be honest, it may be more than that bottle…if the 15’s don’t impress me then I think I have 3-4 of those as well.

Halfway would be Syracuse and that would be 4 to 5 hour drive from me. Too long a drive for me to do for a bottle.

I’m not sure why you mentioned “15s” in your note below, but I was looking forward to tasting a 2013 and will likely just find a way to do that in the next month or so. [cheers.gif]

Have you opened any of the Clos Florentin? Any good?