Excessive Shipping Charge

Does $20.00 standard ground shipping for 2 bottles from Napa Valley to Los Angeles (425 miles) appear excessive?
I realize $20.00 is really insignificant but it’s the principle of getting overcharged.

What would it be for four bottles?

You can run the numbers for yourself on UPS or Fedex (whichever one was used). But for a bottle or 2, the shipping charges tend to run high per bottle; they drop down per bottle when you ship an entire case.

Bruce

kinda depends on the winery and how they do fulfillment, if the wine is being sent to a residence vs business, weight of bottles, etc.

just looking at Worldship now, assuming:

two bottles = 6lbs + plus Adult Signature + Ground service to a residence = around $15.

add in the cost of packaging materials, and $20 isn’t out of bounds.

no

I shipped 1 bottle from PC (in panic mode) for $18.00 to Florida.

Different companies depending on how much shipping they do can negotiate better rates than other companies. i.e. Amazon vs. your mom and pops winery that ships out twice a year

This continues to be an interesting topic, especially within CA. It generally costs the same to ship 2 bottles as it does 4, so there are ‘efficiencies of scale’ at play.

That said, many wineries continue to use third party shippers . . .and actually mark up what those companies charge. Many claim they dont, but . . .

I generally eat most of what I’m charged - to me, it seems like the right thing to do . . .

Cheers

I sent two Napa cabs to my sister in Lafayette California from Illinois for $26 through UPS last xmas.

Among the many reasons we love you, Larry!

It’s always expensive to ship a small number of bottles.

But was it excessible?

It’s actually possible to buy less than six packs or cases of wine at a time?

My cost to ship 2 bottles to a residence in LA from SF is $12.73 via FedEx. It’s probably about the same for GSO, maybe a dollar more for UPS. The cost of the shipper is about $3, so $20 doesn’t sound unreasonable, especially if they’re using an outside source to do their shipping. The price per bottle should definitely go down with a larger order.

Kalifornia is a B-I-G state…

Ask Maison Ilan.

I hate to be pedantic here (not really), but the correct mis-spelling is excessibe.

Jan 1 the rates by all shipping companies went up a minimum of 4%, packaging has gone up as well. It’s crazy that fuel prices have come down but fuel surcharges by these companies have not.
Looking at our shipping costs from Napa to LA for 2 bottles including packing, $20 covers all the costs with maybe a $1 and a few cents leftover for labor.

so you gave Randy a raise?

[rofl.gif] Seriously?