Alban release, Grenache

Got the newsletter today and their are multiple offerings but i dont get Lorraine which is bad for cellar but great for wallet !!

I did however get offered the 12 Grenache which im not overly familiar with, its reasonably expensive at $115 but the Alban wines i have had to date have been fantastic. Anyone familiar with this wine and is it a good purchase at this pricepoint

Thanks

I’ve had a few older vintages, and they were great if you dig that style. Compared to the Reva, it’s more hedonistic and ripe, not nearly as tarry and funky and all. Of course, grenache vs. syrah and all, but just for comparison. I thoroughly enjoyed them, even if I’m not seeking them out at those prices.

The last vintage I had was 2006, though, and I don’t know if they’re better, worse or different since then.

I got the same offer as you. I’ve had the Viogner and didn’t really care for it and I am not a Grenache guy so I am passing.
As we’ve discussed before Alban’s Reva is in a class by itself and the Patrina is just a notch below.

Michael

Do you know if we get dropped if we pass ? I really do want the 12 Reva

I want :frowning:

Holy moley! For that price, you could get several bottles of most Chateauneuf.

Just a thought: you’ve got several really fantastic offers here on Berserkers Day, wines that have character and are made by people who care enough about their customers to be here talking to us, offering us exceptional deals on good wines. If it were me, that’s where I’d be putting my $$$.

I don’t think so. I’ve passed on the Winter release and still was offered Reva and Patrina.

I have, did and will. Thanks for trolling here.

Curious, why is that a troll?

Alban selling Grenache at $115 demands (or at least opens the door to) scrutiny. That’s more than historic estates like Beaucastel, Vieux Telegraphe, Janasse, Pegau, some years of Clos de Papes, Usseglio, etc. Not to detract from Alban, which may be fine in its own right, but Alan suggesting other options for someone that is clearly searching is actually very solid advice.

Added nothing about the OP and assumed we didn’t support BD. All in one backhanded slap at Alban. No?

I get the Syrah offer every year but have never been offered the Grenache. [scratch.gif]

Guys

Not trying to start anything here.

I bought today and am happy to support the business people who contribute here, however it doesnt mean that wineries like Alban who choose to be very private are bad guys. There are loads of expensive wines that we can argue being good value, SQN is $275 which i feel is way to high yet it has a ten year wait lisr who can say they wrong.

Im intrigued by this offer thats all and as i do often im reaching out for knowledge from this great resource forum.

So has anyone drunk the grenache

This is a Grenache that’s all its own……doesn’t compare to anything made in the world…….but I haven’t had any recent vintages….here are some past experiences:

• 2006 Alban Vineyards Grenache Alban Estate Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Edna Valley (5/17/2013)
    PnP…(who the hell ever does that with Alban?!)…but I need some juice quick! As dark and extracted as it gets…barrel sample-like…HUGE unctuous black/purple berry fruit that is liqueured and perfectly ripe. Smooth and amazingly silky…full bodied oozing oil…wonderful classic Alban tar, Kirsch, white pepper, licorice, boysenberry pie…great balance, notice the spice, not the 16.5 alc.!!!Pretty florals and even some minerality as well. Just SO tasty…over-the-top, yet made very well. Should be even better with some huge air, or even a few more years…but this one won’t make it past an hour! +pts (95 pts.)
  • 1999 Alban Vineyards Grenache Alban Estate Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Edna Valley (1/16/2012)
    Alban Vineyards Tasting 1993-2009 (Buzzini House): FINALLY the big acid has broken! This wine has never been drinkable to me…but that was in its youth. The acid is still very much pronounced, but now balanced, making this wine fresh and alive. Still pretty rich wild berry fruit, some plum skin tartness, raspberry puree, great smoky funky tar…total Alban terroir! Just loved this! (97 pts.)
  • 2003 Alban Vineyards Grenache Alban Estate Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Edna Valley (1/16/2012)
    Alban Vineyards Tasting 1993-2009 (Buzzini House): Here comes the huge rich fruit! Dark liqueur berries, sweet and candied, yet too so. Killer complexities of white pepper spice, smoky asphalt, grilled meat. Big wine(16.2) but well balanced and doesn’t show. Lot of goodness in this one! (94 pts.)
  • 2005 Alban Vineyards Grenache Alban Estate Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Edna Valley (12/21/2009)
    Opaque blackberry in color…huge nose of oozeberry, kirsch liqueur, dusty dried currants, smoky asphalt, white pepper. MONSTER in the mouth…tied down by a huge wall of tannins. Gobs of rich dark juicy fruit, surrounded by dusty and spicy tannins, smoked cranberries, signature Alban sweet asphalt(very tame compared to older Vintages), peppery candied spices, herbs and some grilled meat. Tasty…but really needs time. Holds the 16.8% alc well, but it still shows. The wine is harsh at times…but tasty as hell! Hard to put it down…but I’m going to cork it up, and try back in 2 days. Will add to the note, and update my score. This might go 5+pts higher… (92 pts.)
  • 2000 Alban Vineyards Grenache Alban Estate Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Edna Valley (12/3/2007)
    Dark as night black cherry in color. Didn’t wait but 10secs from popping the cork to try some. First glass is all funk-show-brother, sweet asphalt tar, charred oak barrel, tart raspberry/pomegranate/cranberry fruit, intense pepper spice…Very much Alban! But, the goal was to drink the wine after 24hrs…so this if from 20+hrs later. Just as I thought…the funk is more complexing, well integrated…showing the signature sweet asphalt, smoked bacon, sage, white florals/spice. The fruit is more high toned with acidic tart cranberry/raspberry/cherry fruit…sharp at times. You are hit with the tart acid, then you get a wall of smoooth and complex sweetness, spice…then the tartness punches you in the face…you fall down, and smile! “May I have another?”…you call out. I love this wine…but it REALLY has to be “your thing”. It is its own style of wine…so DO NOT compare it to other Grenache…it drums to its own beat. This 2000 is aging just fine imo, but it is a little on the acidic side, and is not Alban’s best. But the quality and Terroir is there; and for those with good bottles…you will be rewarded! (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

It’s funny reading the note on the 2000. Totally reminds me about owning a few of that wine and each time I tried it, it was like licking fresh asphalt and eating burnt tires. I finally gave up and sent my remaining few to winebid. Was $40 on release or was it $45.

Brian

Thank you, strange as it might seem to some your notes are pushing me towards picking up a couple of bottles. I love big wines, one question though. You would think that loving big wines that Aussie wines but would be in my wheelhouse but i do not generally like them due to the jammy characteristics they generally have for me, would you say there is any danger of getting this from the Alban ? not to be confused with thickness or viscosity both of which are fine im referring to that cloying sweetness that Aussie wines can have

Alan

I agree with you…I find most of the Aussie wines I’ve had are too sweet…caramel ice cream… I detest sweet candied wines…the Albans are definitely ripe and full bodied…but balanced well with acidity and minerality…and that signature tarness adds to the savory aspect.

I have access to all of the wines at my cost for this release. Just send a PM.

Got my full allocation.

Brian May I suggest you try Law’s Grenache.