Undervalued wine regions?

With all the recent posts on potentially overpaying for Napa cabs and the rise in price of burgundies, it got me thinking…what are some undervalued wine regions, when considering the quality of wine vs. price? I suppose German Rieslings might fall into that category. I could also make an argument for top Cali Zinfandels. Thoughts on others?

Santa Barbara County Rhones, especially Syrah.

Loire valley FTW.

Red Burg

Italian odd-ball wines
Spanish whites
Rioja Riservas
Port, Madeira, and Sherry
Portuguese regions for table wines (not Duero)
Greek reds and whites

There are more inland small wineries in California popping up these days. I am partial to Contra Costa, but further North and South are bound to be some surprises…

Bordeaux-Cru Bourgoise and satellite appelations
Tokaji
Bandol
Beaujolais
Loire
Chablis
Rioja
vintage Port
Chateau Musar-I know, not a region, but still…

You’re kidding right?

Michigan, New Jersey, Slovenia, Turkey, and of course, China, where you can get great prices on the local Bordeaux.

You forgot Long Island. [stirthepothal.gif]

Loire and Northern Rhone

Loire; Germany; South Africa; Portuguese table wines; Sherry

St. Aubin
Bandol
Corsican wines are tasty.

For my palate, hands down, Cru Beaujolais. A distant second, Austrian Riesling. Third, off-the-beaten-path red/white Burgundy (not kidding).

Undervalued by price or reputation?
I’ve always had this suspicion that most new world countries undervalue the reputation of other new world countries, as they spend more time comparing their product to the old world.
I think it depends a lot on where you are too. For me, sitting in the south east of Melbourne, it is hard to say many imported wines are undervalued on price - our taxation system makes that pretty hard.
Having said that, I’d say Dao in Portugal, Galicia in Spain and the Loire are under valued in comparison to other regions of their respective countries.
I haven’t seen enough of countries like Georgia or Croatia (or even the US for that matter) to make that sort of assessment for them.
Locally to me, I don’t think that the Grampians, Macedon or Beechworth have the reputations they deserve among the local populace. I don’t expect them to be well known outside of Australia though.

Anderson Valley Pinot
Mencia and Mentrida

I’d say that Cru Beaujolais is probably the most undervalued region I see…period. I think they’re on the path to bring those prices up and we’ll all be saying that we should have bought more Lapierre at $35/bottle. After that…there’s only a few places that I think really stand out for me. There are some German regions that i think few pay attention to…that may be more known in 5-10 years.

Many good mentions, two that I’d add:
Muscadet - world class and singular
Mount Etna - always punch above their weight class

Hand’s down:
Cru Beaujolais
Muscadet

Loire
Muscadet
Chablis
Chianti

I think cali zin is a bit undervalued when compared to the price of the cabs. I really enjoy a lot of the Zins and they can be subbed in for cabs in a lot of food pairings. Really great zin is still a sub $50 wine and we all know what most good cabs are running. Plus there is the added component for me at least that the US is really the pinnacle of the zin grape. I know it’s grown elsewhere but it isn’t as good IMO from other regions. I still love cab but I find myself going zin for my daily drinkers more and more.