2013 Drinkward Peschon

Just received my offer email. $75 / bottle. Seems reasonable given the love this winery receives on this board and others.

Has anyone had a chance to taste this wine yet? I know '13 is supposed to be a special year for Napa. I’m trying to get a sense for this winery in particular and for this vintage. What do you people think?

Haven’t tasted it, but the new shipping policy (free on 6 btls or more) is certainly attractive compared to years past at $10+ per bottle. Given free shipping, the all-in cost of this vintage is about the same, give or take, as the 2009 vintage. Wish I could’ve said the same for Larkmead the past couple of years.

Just snagged a case and the free shipping I’ll be honest was nice. Like Jim, the $10+ per bottle shipping is pretty ridiculous and keeps me from some wine I might try. Drinkward is always a good go to.

I have not had the 2013, but I did have the 2012 a couple of months ago, and I thought it was great. My sense is that they are very consistent, vintage to vintage, and very fairly priced.

DP is usually my largest purchase each year in terms of # of bottles. I’m biased but i love the wines and Lisa and Francois are great folks.

Paul- in terms of style they are very consistent - medium bodied, dark fruit and cassis with a nice mineral streak and good structure. They are typically very balanced wines as well. I think they lean a little more to the classic style of Napa cab then the more modern versions. They always reward 5+ years of cellar time though some like the 07 and 12 drink very well young. My favorite has been the 10 and i’m thinking 13 might be like that one with a bit more structure and verve to it.

Cheers
Fred

in, most definitely in

I am just realizing that DP no longer ships to Illinois. Anyone doing anything creative to get around this? I guess I could make a trip up to Napa just to pick it up directly, but that seems like a huge pain (and I am sure i would end up stopping at 5 other places and buying a bunch of stuff I don’t need).

Thoughts?

Joe

Have them drop it off to a local shipper like Buffalo’s then you ship it to yourself.

Illinois really dropped the hammer in the last 12 months on out of state shipping. As of now, unless one has a license to ship there, it’s gonna be hard.

DP is a fantastic $70 wine. Almost criminally overlooked.

Fred - thank you for the input. I’m in for half a case.

I’m in St. Louis if that helps anyone in IL that wants to order but can’t get it shipped.

Went in for six. Peer pressure. Jeez, you guys. [snort.gif]

As I have never sampled a Cabernet from these winemakers, I am on the fence. The free shipping offer is tempting. Is there anyone in the Rochester NY area who would be interested in sharing a 6 pack?

My circumstances are similar to Jeff’s. If there is someone in the Cedar Valley, Dubuque or Madison WI areas what would like to split a six pack, please let me know.

Jeff- Can Jersey retailers ship to NY ? If so buy the 12 from Wine Library. Give it a few days to settle then a 3 hour decant and see what you think. I had it last night and it’s excellent and a great representation of the house style.

cheers

Good suggestion. I wonder how likely there would be a 2013 sell-out before I had the opportunity to try the 2012. I also wonder if the Wine Library will carry the 2013. Their price in lower than the winery and shipping is fair.

For you guys looking to split an allocation, in time you’ll wish you had them all.

Peer pressure :wink:

I just bit at the wine library, DP doesn’t ship to MA or NH so I thought easy one to pass on until I saw this post #@%^ peer pressure I fall every time… [snort.gif]