need Kosher wine suggestions

it’s my nephew’s bar mitzvah in 2 weeks and I got a call from my sister this am asking what wines should she buy for the luncheon after the service.

I have no clue but need a reasonably priced red and white suggestion.

I would look for:

Hagafen Cellars
Covenant Wines (Rudd)

+1 Hagafen - wines at a variety of price points
+1 Covenant - their “Red C” is a bit less expensive than the flagship “Covenant” - around $40
Shiloh - I have served their “Legend” and “Legend II” red blends for the holidays and they always go fast - around $50, but there are other Shiloh wines for less
Yatir - had the 201 Red Blend last year and it was very good - under $40 and there are other Yatir wines for less
A couple of the Champagne houses make kosher wine
I recognize that $40-$50 may not be “reasonably priced” - it may be possible that there are case discounts available
Check out KosherWine.com to get a good survey of what is out there and general pricing.

Tabor Volcanic Soil Cabernet

Petit Castel a good option if you want to spend more.

I’m not a fan of Covenant.

Tzora. Skurnik brings it in to NY, so it is readily available. The base wine is $25ish and really not bad, in a warm climate way.

If you are going to serve Hagafen, you first have to start with some Borei Pri .

Sorry I couldn’t resist.

Wine Library also has Yarden Cabernet for $24.

I think either hagafen or another kosher operation has a label called ‘Prix’, so you’re not far off.

For a white that is not too expensive, Willm, a producer from Alsace, makes decent kosher wines.

One of the top Israeli wines is Castel. They make an excellent cheaper wine called Petite Castel, but it probably still will be $30-40.

For something less expensive, I have had decent Merlots from Recanati and Ella Valley Vineyards.

Capcanes from Spain makes three Kosher Cuvees that are not bad. You can get it at Astor for under $20 a bottle

RECANATI WINERY -

Terrific bargains from Israel - and easy to find (Palm Bay imports them). the red and white table wines should be less than $15 a bottle, and the Cabernet is less than $20. Really nice wines for the money. the '14 Cabernet is shockingly good for the money.

Does it need to be mevushal?

Izzy I had to look up what that meant- I think just kosher is fine. It can be handled by heathens

Most people at the party won’t care what they’re drinking.

Barkan Cabernet from Israel can be found in the $10 - $15 neighborhood. They also make a reserve (?) around $20.00.
Considering the price, both are drinkable.

Odfjell Armador Cabernet from Chile is a nice kosher wine, and well priced (<$10). I don’t how widely available it is in various parts of the US though.

I wonder how Covenant gets fruit from Larkmead, good on 'em.

+1. Recanati have always been decent but have really improved in the last few years and now make a broad range of wine which delivers value across the range. They have a very talented wine making team in Gil Shatsberg, Ido Lewinsohn and Kobi Arbiv
Started lunch today with a few bottles of the Recanati Gris de Marsalan Rose 2014 which was excellent.
Shavua Tov.

Ed Murray has an idea.
1030101916a.jpg

We were waiting for that, Steve! champagne.gif neener flirtysmile

Our Costco carries some decently priced Israeli kosher wines. I’ve enjoyed some of them, others less so. But for a large party like that (assuming it’s large) you are probably fine with Barkan for all.